Thread: Fireworks or Photoshop

Registered

Fireworks or Photoshop

I would like to learn either one of the software to build experience.
    Looking at the education price for each license, Fireworks is much lower compared to Photoshops...which is a PLUS.

I understand Photoshop is the leader in image editing but Fireworks can do what Photoshop does, right?
    Which would you personally recommend out of the two? And why?
    I doubt I have time to learn both program and once I start, I would like to remain with that program.

I use both, but then I didn't have to pay for either of them myself.

I like Fireworks a lot. I find their vector tools easy to use, and the process for creating web graphics just seems simpler than Photoshop/Image Ready. But if you need to create true digital artwork or you need serious photo editing functionality, then Photoshop is a much much better tool.

I started using Fireworks before Photoshop had vector support or scripting, so I guess I just got used to it.

The other thing to consider is that there are far more people using Photoshop, so there are far more tutorials, samples, books, etc. available. Then again, if you use other Macromedia products like Dreamweaver, then Fireworks might be better integrated.

I used to think Fireworks was good, but after using photoshop's filters etc there's no beating it imo.
    Don't you just love free internet games ?

Registered
    I've looked into both and ended up using fireworks cause its a lot easier to learn.

Registered
    Everyone agrees that PS is the way to go but I won't be using 90% (or more) features of what PS has to offer. So I'll just opt for the Fireworks as it is for websites.

I downloaded the tryout version of Fireworks but received an error saying the tryout expired.

Can Fireworks create 1)online images from scratch (banners & logos), 2)cut and paste two photos together (stitching), 3)change colors of an image, 4)crop images, and 5)adjust brightness & contract?

Those would be the main features I am looking for. I don't I'll ever use all the goodies that PS has to offer.

It will do all of those things except that if you're expecting automated stitching of images, I'm not sure it will do that. You can certainly cut and paste multiple images together manually.

The thing to remember is that Fireworks is specifically designed for web work, and is pretty limited to that use. Photoshop was designed primarily for print, artistic, and photographic work. Web functionality was added later. So Photoshop is capable of doing much more than Fireworks, hence the significant price difference. If you don't plan to use those additional capabilities and need to stick to a tight budget, then Photoshop probably doesn't make sense.

I've used them both, and I must say I prefer photoshop despite the ages I have to wait for it to load...

Photoshop will provide you with scope in the future to do stuff you're not able to with fireworks. For that, it may be worth it.

Photoshop is the best! Well, you can compare it to Corel, but not to Fireworks

Trench Warfare
    I think photoshop is great... well worth it.
    ________
    teen vid
    Last edited by ozgression; 02-06-2011 at 05:23 AM.

Junior Registered
    I started with fireworks when I was a lot younger but moved into photoshop. It definately took more time to learn but now i cant stand using fireworks and feel extremely comfortable doing many things in photoshop. Although, there is still tons that needs to be learned.

Another benefit of photoshop is the plethora of free tutorials available, fireworks users dont have this benefit to such a great extent

Resident smart a$$
    From a purely web design / web graphics perspective Fireworks is far stronger IMO.

If your looking to use a graphics program for mainly print work Photoshop's the industry standard.

Since I'm a Photoshop addict and never used Fireworks I would have to say PS
    Percept | Webdesign | Desk02 | 7962154zz8x