Thread: website no longer findable

Junior Registered

website no longer findable

Hello I'm a new member trying to get help for my niece. She has a professionally built website that has successfully run for a year or two. When the time came to pay for more hosting she was strapped for cash so decided to transter the hosting to BT Yaho Geocities as she had free space there. Her web designer and host was understanding and transferred the files. All worked well for about 6 months - E-commerce - the lot. Last week the site failed to appear when the normal browsing data was entered. The files are still located at Geocity - I have checked. I contacted Geocities and after an hour on the phone got to the web expert who was no expert and told me to contact the web designer - totally failing to understand the problem! I am involved because I too have a website at Yahoo Geocities and it works fine - therefore I am considered an expert - which I am not - hence this request for help. Yes plan B is to go back to the original host and pay the fee - but I'd like to try a Plan A first. Does anyone have any suggestions where to start.
    Cheers
    Whealie

Does no website come up at all, i.e. domain name not found or does a message come up with a page not found (404)?

Junior Registered
    Thanks for getting involved Xander
    The website is 'getknottedjewellery.co.uk' and when I try to access it I get an Explorer message saying 'cannot access'. Just in case I have the wrong ending ( Sally is a bit vague and not easily contactable - working Mum ) I tried '.com' as well and that takes me to a Domain name provider '123 Reg' I'm 99% sure it is .co.uk I'll verify this asap - subject to raising Sally.

If you go to 'http://uk.geocities.com/sallyatgetknotted@btinternet.com' you will see the website in question - no password required.
    It has been working fine for several months but went pear-shaped last week. No-one has fiddled with it.
    Cheers
    Whealie
    01489 892601

It would appear that if the .co.uk is the right, then its a dns issue with either the domain register or with the host, looks like with the host as the dns on the .co.uk is pointing to yahoo.

I would perhaps shop around for a cheaper host, but definitely move back to a paid host. Any professional site should not be a on free host like Geocities. Doing so ends up with problems like what you've been experiencing.
    Chris Beasley - My Guide to Building a Successful Website[size=1]
    Content Sites: ABCDFGHIJKLMNOP|Forums: ABCD EF|Ecommerce: Swords Knives