Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: i am struggling to bring traffic to my site

Junior Registered

i am struggling to bring traffic to my site

Hi

I launched my website www.pyramid.com over two years ago and I have lost over £100k so far on advertising cost, I have used PPC and shopping engines to date, I currently don’t advertise anywhere because of the losses I have made.
    Can anybody help me with some advice on how I can bring cost effective traffic to my site in a very competitive industry, I am pretty competitive in my market but just can’t get traffic without spending much more that I make.

Any advice would be great. I am happy to receive criticism as well as advice; it can’t do me any harm.

My competitors are www.ebuyer.com, www.dabs.com, etc there are much bigger but I have a similar model.

Thank you
    James
    Last edited by Pyramidjames; 02-27-2008 at 01:23 PM.

That is a ton to lose, I would focus more on organic SEO and less on PPC marketing and other forms of advertising. For $100k you could have had amazing SEO done. You could have bought popular technology content sites and blogs.
    Chris Beasley - My Guide to Building a Successful Website[size=1]
    Content Sites: ABCDFGHIJKLMNOP|Forums: ABCD EF|Ecommerce: Swords Knives

Also, forum rules/etiquette dictate that you post each question only once, in one topic, in the most appropriate location. Posting the same question in multiple places just wastes time.
    Chris Beasley - My Guide to Building a Successful Website[size=1]
    Content Sites: ABCDFGHIJKLMNOP|Forums: ABCD EF|Ecommerce: Swords Knives

I'm just curious, but after the first £10k, and you weren't turning a profit, what convinced you to continue spending?

The massive banner for the car navigator on the frontpage - seems like a complete waste of real estate (irrelevant to 99% of people).

You seem to have a selection of random products on the front page. Why don't you highlight the main categories rather than a mash of products that will probably be irrelevant to 90% of people that visit your front page.

I clicked onto keyboards & mice, and see a page with 9 items on it. (hot picks). And mashed inbetween the massive banner and the 9 products, are the tiny links to the sub directories. You're making unnecessary barriers to people converting on your site.

I pulled that from looking at 2 pages on your site, I'm sure theres more things.

Go look at your competitors site ebuyer.com. The main categories at the top, subcategories on the left. Signs of trust and value (free delivery) on the right side..

Registered
    Nothing wrong with your website, you are in a highly competitive business along with giants like Amazon and Buy.com and many others.

Turning a profit is going to be hard when you have to compete with BestBuy, Circuit City and the rest of the electronics giants.

If you are losing money, maybe it is time to look for a strategic partner with a vested interest in the business like NewEgg to invest in the portal.

For me, I go for IBLs and not focus on LE partners...

I can go for LE partners if that site also generates tons of traffic which will affect my site on traffic...

Registered
    IMHO you've chosen a pretty competitive market with some big players in this industry. Small-time players should always start with a specific niche and gradually go general.

Thailand Ex-Pat
    Good advice one and all. I think with that much money spent on advertising, I would have been looking for a reason why I had no sales or a way out a long time ago.

Registered
    Also - and I cannot say this enough - get free backlinks to your site. You will get more customers this way. I have found many sites because I clicked on another site's backlink. It helps if the site linking to you has something in common with your site, otherwise don't bother.
    Sundreez

Quote Originally Posted by Pyramidjames View Post
    Hi

I launched my website www.pyramid.com over two years ago and I have lost over £100k so far on advertising cost, I have used PPC and shopping engines to date, I currently don’t advertise anywhere because of the losses I have made.
    Can anybody help me with some advice on how I can bring cost effective traffic to my site in a very competitive industry, I am pretty competitive in my market but just can’t get traffic without spending much more that I make.

Any advice would be great. I am happy to receive criticism as well as advice; it can’t do me any harm.

My competitors are www.ebuyer.com, www.dabs.com, etc there are much bigger but I have a similar model.

Thank you
    James
    Don't expect PPC too much, just concentrate for optimizing your keywords in your webpage then submit your website to directory. For making Backlink fo your website just submit your article including your keywords in Resource, Making a Blog, in Forum put your link in your Signature, Social Bookmarking(Bookmark your Blog/Article), Participate in Question and Answer site and Online Group Posting.

Junior Registered
    yeh, that's a lot of money to be lost and no profite. Greate one word domain thou. Get SEO done and focus on organic traffic.
    PicStation.net Reliable Free Image Hosting

Registered
    Well, maybe there is something wrong with your website, your business operation or how you are offering the services.

PPC programs could be excellent for having targeted traffic and a lot of visitors and the smart webmasters can make a lot of sales online after people arrive on their pages.

Junior Registered
    i am facing same situation . only 20 unique IP visit my website http://www.haiwin-necktie.com
    google brings 3-4 visitors dayly to my website . too terrible.
    I have no idea to increase traffic.

first your site is slow loading from my country and to compete with amazon type commerce web site, I think it need more then just instant traffic PPC, it require better strategy.I suggest getting website review,or focus on organic SEO. with 100K I believe you can get many professional SEO master ready to load your site with more then traffic but also lead.more over why you dont go to cpa marketing,?