Thread: This Could Be Big

Registered

This Could Be Big

I'm working on creating a site that would basically be another Craigslist, but would have some key differences that would help set us apart, and hopefully attract people. I'm not sure about a few legalities, which are listed below.

1. copying the idea of a no-frills looking online classifieds, which charges a minimal fee for posting jobs in certain cities

2. how different (if at all) does the stylistic presentation of the site have to be from Craigslist?

3. basically, if you can think of any possible snags with this sort of project, I would appreciate the enlightenment.

Much Thanks!!!

The idea is too generic to be infringement.

I wouldn't call it 'Bob's List' but other than that, you're good.

Of course, the problem with your idea, is that you face ridiculous levels of competition. How do you beat big entrenched guys with millions of users and listings?

Amazon tried auctions/classifieds you know to take on eBay.... even with their huge built in audience they couldn't do it... because in the area of online classifieds, if you're not #1, you're 0. The users flock to where the largest selection is, the sellers flock to where the most users are.
    Chris Beasley - My Guide to Building a Successful Website[size=1]
    Content Sites: ABCDFGHIJKLMNOP|Forums: ABCD EF|Ecommerce: Swords Knives

Registered
    Chris,
    Thanks for your input. I know that Craigslist has the market, and many others have failed, but I have an added element that I believe could be a key ingredient for a fighting chance, or feel it is at least worth pursuing. I know that even with solid marketing, it will take quite a long time to become 'known', and am ready to see it through, and accept the losses if that's the way it turns out. Nothing ventured nothing gained.
    Thanks!!

Also consider the lesson of Ebay Japan.

Ebay, the global leader in online auctions, gave up on Japan. Yahoo got there first and got entrenched and eBay, even with all they have, could not win the fight.

The king of the hill really has a tremendous advantage in this area.

Registered
    Point taken. However, I don't think Craigslist has as strong of a hold on the European market as they could have because they don't have the language on their site correspond to that of the cities they are in. I think if one had the option of using CL, or a similar site that was in their native tongue, they would use the site they could read easier. That is one thing I am aiming for, but it isn't my cat in the hat.

Also, I like the saying 'the whole is greater than the sum of its parts', and I believe that philosophy. You can add and subtract all the variables, but there are variables that cannot be accounted for, such as being in the right place at the right time, luck, exposure, etc. Craigslist owns the world, but it's an out with the old in with the new kind of internet. If something new comes along, and offers something better, people tend to use/buy/switch/etc. to the new. Except for possibly San Francisco, I believe people's loyalty is less altruistic than it is self-serving.

Registered
    I have secured thebetterlist.com and the .net version. What are people's thoughts on those domain names for the site? The .org version is parked at godaddy, and betterlist.com is also taken. I contacted the owner of betterlist.com (no website at that domain) and asked if they were interested in selling. They said that they would entertain an offer, but are not really motivated to sell right now. If an offer were to be made, what would be reasonable?

what about "abetterlist" instead of "the"

A comes before T alphabetically so for lists that do not ignore articles you would be listed higher.

It fits more in common vernacular.

... "Not just any <noun>, a better <noun>" is a fairly common phrase, whereas saying "the better <noun>" is far less common and of course implies that there is only 1 thing better than whatever it is assumed you are comparing to.

Registered
    Excellent suggestion, thank you!!! The .com is parked with godaddy. I emailed the guy and am waiting to see his response.

Not that blue at all Blue Cat Buxton's Avatar
    Craigslist may not be popular in europe, and I would agree at least for the UK.

But then I am not sure that 'list' is associated with clasified ads that much over here. betterlist, with the or a in front, to my mind does not tell me what type of list it is. localads, or freeadlist or something like does, but not just 'list' - and that is perhaps why Craigslist has not taken off over here?

Registered
    Thanks Blue! It's nice to also get some transatlantic insight. It is especially valuable, because as I posted earlier, I would like to target the European market more so than Craigslist. It's kind of hard to do though, when you're born, raised, and living in the US, and not versed in other culture's mentality. As always, a lot of the good domain names are taken. I'm going to look to see what other names are available, and maybe post a poll later today.