Thread: Can I edit my page while someone is viewing it?

The Disturbed Soul flyfamilyguy's Avatar

Can I edit my page while someone is viewing it?

Hey folks!
    I'm new to this whole website creation thing. My site is up,(flyfamilyguy.athost.net). What if someone is viewing my page while I am editing it. Can I change the look of my site while people are viewing it?
    Thanks!
    "The only difference between Los Angeles and Yogurt is that Yogurt comes with less fruit!"

That's called editing "on the fly". As long as you haven't saved the "new" page, the viewer sees the "old" page. For minor edits it isn't a problem, but if you're doing a major change that might "break" the page or need other revisions, you're better off to do a "test" page. Save that. Download the final product to your hard drive and then upload it to your FTP.
    Linda Jenkinson
    Shyflower.com
    Writing & Editorial Services for Web Businesses

Registered
    The visitor will see the changes after they refresh the page. Shyflower makes a good suggestion to test your changes before going live, and that way you don't make a silly mistake.

The Disturbed Soul flyfamilyguy's Avatar
    Thanks You Guy's!
    My problem now is Email. I Installed phpBB to /forum. It's up and running http://www.flyfamilyguy.my2gig.com/forum But every time someone registers, they get a Mail Error Message because email is not set up on my server. This is because I have no idea how to do it. Can someone assist me?
    Thanks!
    "The only difference between Los Angeles and Yogurt is that Yogurt comes with less fruit!"

You can do simple forms in html. However, it's not advisable because they are neither secure for your site nor your visitors. PHP is a server side language. Are you sure that your free server supports php? I think you need to take a better look at the applications your server provides. Most provide some type of form mail, but you won't be able to use applications outside of their limitations.
    Linda Jenkinson
    Shyflower.com
    Writing & Editorial Services for Web Businesses

Registered
    If you are using the free hosting services and need having a form to mail script installed but do not have the PHP installed on server or don't know how they work, you can easily use the third party, free or paid form handling services.
    Last edited by bermuda; 01-06-2008 at 11:28 AM.