Thread: DNS screwed up.

Website Developer

DNS screwed up.

I updated the DNS for one of my domains yesterday. I just noticed that the www.domain.com is resolving to the old DNS servers while domain.com is resolving to the new ones. Judging by my traffic stats, the visitors are all still going to the old DNS. Yet when I tested it before going to bed the www was resolving to the new DNS servers.

When I ping each of them (domain.com and www.domain.com) I see different IP addresses.

Has anyone ever seen anything like this before? I am going contact the domain name registrar; but this is just wierd.
    Make more money - Read my Web Publishing Blog

4x4
    It's not the registrar. It's your local DNS, most likely your ISP hasn't updated to the new ones yet. A lot of ISPs can take up to 72hours to start using the new NS. I would flush your local DNS and see what you get for www and non-www to get the updated picture for your personal computer.

-Todd

Website Developer
    Well both are resolving correctly for me as of right now. I did resubmit the DNS update so that might have played a role.

But here is the thing, there is paid traffic being driven to the www.domain, and I know about 700 visitors have shown up so far today. However, my tracking software which runs on the new site (updated live, very accurate data) shows only 80 visitors for the day. That means almost everyone is hitting the old DNS.

I understand the DNS updating. It used to take at least 24 hours to do an update, but my understanding is that was changed. In my most recent experience the DNS updates and propagates within about an hour. Thats what I saw saw yesterday. The best I can tell it seems something reverted.

Either way, this isn't a serious issue. Just something weird which I have never seen happen before.

4x4
    The DNS does update a lot quicker now than 24 hours... at enom it updates for me most of the time in 1 hour or less. That doesn't mean the ISP's go out instantly and fetch the new data, or the users computers have updated/flushed either.

That's how I understood the workings at least.

I had the DNS with one ISP over here take 6 days to update... what a nightmare
    I Do Website Design - but I am here to learn all about publishing

Website Developer
    Well I figured out the missing traffic, the pages wouldn't load in IE

4x4
    Quote Originally Posted by Cutter View Post
    Well I figured out the missing traffic, the pages wouldn't load in IE
    I deal with that all the time. Everything works great, looks great, then I show someone and it's messed up. Ruins my day.

Atleast you figured it out now before you dropped $50k in advertising haha.

Website Developer
    It really doesn't help that my programmer can't even run IE on his Linux machine! Its happened so much now that I need to add a special item to my web site launch task list -- "Check in IE."

4x4
    Quote Originally Posted by Cutter View Post
    It really doesn't help that my programmer can't even run IE on his Linux machine! Its happened so much now that I need to add a special item to my web site launch task list -- "Check in IE."
    Hahah, so funny you mention this. I went over same thing today.. I always forge to check IE too