Thread: Ruby on Rail is the best

Lightbulb Ruby on Rail is the best

About a year ago I found myself to be a rather experienced php developer, but recently I have discovered Ruby on Rails, and it has saved me about a week or more development time per project.

Before I stated testing ROR, I read an article saying that the learning curve is very high. This is true from my experience. The nice thing is as soon as you break the leaning curve you will realize that it was worth while. Especially now that ROR supports Java, called JRuby. It is easy to build Java libraries and access them using ruby. Imagine the power of this.

It also took me some time to learn how to deploy ROR projects, but I discovered a very cool ROR tool called Webistrano, that deploys and manage all our ROR projects, we use it to deploy our PHP projects as well. .

I would like to encourage all web developers to give Ruby on Rails a try.

Junior Registered
    I recently tried to research all about ruby, but gave up. I think it's about time I looked into it again.
    1 - 2

Cool

I am using Nedbeans as my IDE and it is a breeze coding in rails, with Nedbeans code completion.

Nedbeans also support SVN so you could work in teams on projects.

The following site is a done in Ruby on Rails. See how quick it loads. Pretty impressive.
    Matogen Development

Registered
    It has been interesting watching my local bookstore over the last couple of years. First, there was just one or two books, then a dozen. Now I think I can safely say there are more books on Ruby than PHP now. That is pretty impressive.

i've just started looking into it again. i managed to get it all installed as command line tools with all the dependencies and it works perfectly (i'm on OS X tiger). i've done a few basic tutorials of building scaffolding and this summer i'm going to delve into "Pragmatic - Agile Web Development with Rails 2nd.pdf". my first project will be to build a sweet, simple CMS that suits me for quickly rolling out content sites so i can focus on monetising and promoting.

I'm the oogie boogie man! James's Avatar
    Really? Cause I know one of the best PHP developers out there and he calls it flat out retarded, and could probably tear it down virtually to its core with flaws.