Thread: Email Environment

Registered

Question Email Environment

How is your email system set up? I was using Thunderbird but it crashed and lost my emails.

Since I run quite a few sites, I have multiple email accounts, so I can't use something like Google's GMail application because it doesn't aggregate all the emails and display them in one panel.

Do you use Pop3 or IMAP?
    Max

I use gmail for everything.
    It is tricky for new users and a little annoying, but i 'trust' them, and that is important.

When you apply 'labels' to emails (like Personal... or Invoices), you can then hit the 'Archive' button on that message. It then disappears from the default display panel and only shows up when you select that label from the left column (in the end, its the same as having your standard Folder system).

Kyle
    Kyle

4x4
    Outlook is the only way to go for me IMHO.

I have it checking ~5 accounts automatically every 5 minutes. I run it on my home PC which stays on 24/7. I remote desktop into it to check my emails... this way if the server my emails are on goes down for a bit I have e-mail up to ~5min. before it went down, and don't rely on webmail. It also keeps all mail in a central location, and on my hard drive so I can back them up nightly.

Filters + Folders make log archival quick and painless, the junkmail protection in the new Outlook is great maybe 5 or 10 get through a day.

-Todd

I use Pegasus Mail for my email client and pull my email from my web hosting account via POP3. All of my email is fed to my primary email account via different email aliases that are appropriate for the task and/or domain. I have Pegasus set up with multiple identities that reflect each of these email aliases and I can quickly change aliases via a drop down field. I also color code my incoming email based on the alias so that I can prioritize what I look at. When I close Pegasus Mail, it automatically filters read messages out of my inbox into appropriate folders.

I've been using this system for around 10 years and have found it highly effective. Also Pegasus Mail's spam and email filtering tools have always been cutting edge (Pegasus Mail actually introduced the concept of email filters). As I have combined Pegasus Mail's spam filtering with SpamAssasin filters on my web hosting account I get maybe one or two pieces of spam per week that doesn't get filtered out and I have been able to virtually eliminate false positives. When Pegasus built in Bayesian filters do mess up and incorrectly flag an email, training Pegasus' filters is as simple as either moving the message into or out of the spam folder as is appropriate.
    Ken Barbalace - EnvironmentalChemistry.com (Environmental Careers, Blog)
    InternetSAR.org: Volunteers Assisting Search and Rescue via the Internet
    My Firefox Theme Classic Compact: Based onFirefox's classic theme but uses much less window space

Not that blue at all Blue Cat Buxton's Avatar
    I also use Outlook but with multiple profiles, reflecting the companies I work for and the sites I run. Its a bit complicated, but works well enough for me.

I've used Outlook Express for years. My main Identity checks several email addresses (Comcast addresses, and several domain addresses) every 30 minutes. I have another identity that checks all the email addresses I have setup for Skaboodle. I switch over to it a couple of times a day.

I use HideOE to run it in the system tray.
    Shawn Kerr .com

Website Developer
    Crap, why do you guys want to constantly be receiving new email? I try to check mine no more than once a day, sometimes never. One of my personal email addresses I checked for the first time since January just last week!
    Make more money - Read my Web Publishing Blog

4x4
    Quote Originally Posted by Cutter View Post
    Crap, why do you guys want to constantly be receiving new email? I try to check mine no more than once a day, sometimes never. One of my personal email addresses I checked for the first time since January just last week!
    Client project updates.
    Payment Notifications.
    Received payment notifications.
    Website Monitoring.
    etc.
    etc.
    etc.

Exactly. I get mail from clients, from merchants, from affiliate managers (new offers, program chages/updates, general contact, etc), feedback from my sites, eXtremepixels related emails.....plus personal emails...
    Shawn Kerr .com

Like ToddW the constant flow of email is critical. Frequently automated emails are my first warning that something isn't working correctly on one of my websites. My email is checked every three minutes and my websites are programmed to start spitting out emails to me if there are problems like a database being down or badbots are hammering a site. It is also how I keep up with forum threads.
    Ken Barbalace - EnvironmentalChemistry.com (Environmental Careers, Blog)
    InternetSAR.org: Volunteers Assisting Search and Rescue via the Internet
    My Firefox Theme Classic Compact: Based onFirefox's classic theme but uses much less window space

Not that blue at all Blue Cat Buxton's Avatar
    Whilst I share Andrew's sentiments, I agree with ToddW. Email communication is necessary and an efficient way of communicating, if you can control email, rather than having email control you.

Registered
    Kyle, do you use your own domains with GMail? I couldn't figure out how to add more than one domain to an account.

I managed to piece together files from Thunderbird so it's working, for now.

I check my e-mail frequently, it's very important. There was some sort of DNS problem on my new dedicated box which cut off my email accounts for a few days; I felt disconnected from the world.
    Max