Thread: internal links, do they help?

Registered

Question internal links, do they help?

Does increasing internal links on my site to a certain page, say from 10 internal links to say 100 help that page gain a better postion, or will it cause a problem?

The more internal links you have the more the pagerank on your site will be spread out. In general your low PR pages would increase, your high PR pages would decrease.

I cover the concept in this article:

http://www.websitepublisher.net/arti...nternal-links/
    Chris Beasley - My Guide to Building a Successful Website[size=1]
    Content Sites: ABCDFGHIJKLMNOP|Forums: ABCD EF|Ecommerce: Swords Knives

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    The more internal links you have the more the pagerank on your site will be spread out. In general your low PR pages would increase, your high PR pages would decrease.

I cover the concept in this article:

http://www.websitepublisher.net/arti...nternal-links/
    Definitely agree, that's why deep linking is sometimes done to help the internal links build PR....
    Last edited by cooluks; 01-30-2008 at 01:01 PM.

Junior Registered
    Along the same lines...

When "Retaining Link Popularity" (from Chris' SEO Guide) are you better off using rel="nofollow", robots.txt, or robots meta tag when de-emphasizing things like internal contact, about, or directory pages? Nofollow is easiest for me, but I don't want to slip up on something.

BTW SEO Guide is a well-written, concise and informative read...more practical and useful than other seo materials I've paid some serious cash for.

Thanks

Internal links can be extremely helpful over time as your site develops into spread out topic categories.

For example... lets say you run a general technical website teaching people about internet topics. Lets also say you have an encyclopedia style entry talking about the history of internet spam. And lets assume with this article, you were trying to rank better on the term 'what is spam'.

Now on the front page of your site, you archive daily news that you find covering a variety of internet issues.. including spam. You offer your own personal commentary on the given issue, and include a 'related links' after each news post. In the related links part of your spam news postings, you always make sure to link to your 'what is spam' article.

Besides the obvious pagerank flow this link offers as explained by Chris's article, Google and other search engines which obviously do care about topic-related weight will see your spam news pages, linking to your 'what is spam' page. Hypothetically, this would help your 'what is spam' page greater than linking to it from the news postings talking about CSS techniques.
    Kyle

Quote Originally Posted by sagetips View Post
    Along the same lines...

When "Retaining Link Popularity" (from Chris' SEO Guide) are you better off using rel="nofollow", robots.txt, or robots meta tag when de-emphasizing things like internal contact, about, or directory pages? Nofollow is easiest for me, but I don't want to slip up on something.

BTW SEO Guide is a well-written, concise and informative read...more practical and useful than other seo materials I've paid some serious cash for.

Thanks
    No follow is the easiest, but it isn't 100%. You could always forget a link or something along those lines.

If the page is easily under your control, using robots.txt or the meta robots tag is the best way.

Of course, using both would be a good idea too. Better safe than sorry.
    Chris Beasley - My Guide to Building a Successful Website[size=1]
    Content Sites: ABCDFGHIJKLMNOP|Forums: ABCD EF|Ecommerce: Swords Knives

I would focus my internal PageRank juice on the important pages!

4x4
    Remember though internal links are NOT just for search engines. If you start showing relevant pages visitors will visit more pages and you will earn more money.

-Todd

Junior Registered
    The anchor text of these internal links really makes a difference too, right? For example, if you simply used the words "click here" for a link, you'd be wasting some of the page rank targeting the words "click here" rather than the words that pertain to that page.

Registered
    Focus your PR on important pages. Control the PR flow by using rel="nofollow" attribute on links to unimportant pages. However, those pages may not get indexed.

Try virtual siloing.

Junior Registered
    Links from internal pages would not only benefitial in the improvement of PR of your site but it will helpful in getting better ranking to your site
    Affliate marketing is best & easy home business opportunity to make some exta money online