Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Well, AWS works

Originally posted by Chris
    I think one thing that would improve performance would be to list more than 10 products per page... anyone know if that is possible?
    Not sure, but it would be very difficult I think. I read that it is currently hard-coded at 10 products per page.

Maybe you could show two 'pages' per page? Numbering the pages would be tricky then though I think?

Thinking about it, I don't think it would be that hard to show "two pages" per page. All you would have to do is make sure you skip a page on subsequent requests from "next" and "previous" links.

Request: 1, 3, 5, 7

Just divide the total page number by 2.

Still, I would wait until they release AWS4. There may be some way of requesting a different amount of items to be returned. Only about a month to wait.

You're supposed to be able to get up to 30 results for an ASIN search if you do a lite request. Outside of that, it's hardcoded at 10 results per request.

Of course, in order for that to be useful, you'd have to have a database of ASINs found in the particular browsenode you were targetting.

The other way to go would be to separate data collection from presentation. I know some people are doing that. Have a set of scripts that request the data from Amazon and put it in a database, then another set that displays the info any way you'd like. That would also guard against AWS outages to some degree. Of course it's a lot more work and overhead.

I think just doing what's been outlined by r2d2 would be easier and also result in less overhead.

Banned
    Can you get the average customer review from "lite" calls?

Banned
    Yeah, I noticed the keyword search returns anything under a mode. They should limit it to a node.

I've had great success with AWS. I started with AWS on january 6 and have already sold over 50 digital cameras and printers. Some items ordered are several thousands so the commisions are excellent. For some reasons I see CDs and DVDs sold as well. I can't wait for my other sites to get more traffic so I can add AWS to them as well.

I'll probably earn more from AWS than from Adsense this (first) month already.
    Last edited by emke; 01-20-2004 at 04:37 PM.

Registered
    Does amazon have a $10 commission cap?

Originally posted by DaveM
    Does amazon have a $10 commission cap?
    nope, no cap. 6.5 % on electronic items. Someone ordered Canon EOS-1D digital camera through my link. Price $3,099.88.

Registered
    That's excellent. Congratulations...

Does amazon send out an email to you each time you get a sale?

It doesn't no. Nice going emke! Is it only 6.5% I thought it was a 5% base and then an extra 2.5% for a direct link making 7.5% no cap?

I've also had quite a few DVD's and stuff that has nothing to do with my site bought. The cookies are doing their job.

Originally posted by DaveM
    That's excellent. Congratulations...

Does amazon send out an email to you each time you get a sale?
    They update once a day with the previous day stats and there you can see how many items have been ordered and the traffic you sent them. I haven't seen if they can send you emails once an item has been ordered so I'm not sure but I don't think they do can that.

Originally posted by chromate
    [B]It doesn't no. Nice going emke! Is it only 6.5% I thought it was a 5% base and then an extra 2.5% for a direct link making 7.5% no cap?
    On some items I've had 6.5 % and on others only 4 %. no 7.5 % commissions at all. I haven't looked at how much the commissions are for the categories to be honest.

I haven't yet looked at the difference between the tier and the classic structure to be honest. I'm working on a new site and haven't had the time to look at any stats or anything till tonight and boy was I surprised when I saw my amazon earnings.

If your site has really been online only since Jan 6, how are you getting enough traffic already? I see Google already has 741 of your pages indexed.

Also, I noticed you have AdSense on some pages twice. I'm pretty sure that's a no-no.

Site Contributor
    Yes, more than 1 instance of AdSense on a page is against TOS.