Thread: Writing an article and submitting it to digg, netscape, etc...

Writing an article and submitting it to digg, netscape, etc...

I guess you gotta do what you gotta do, but I was reading an article from a blog earlier and it was talking about how it started receiving a lot of traffic by writing articles, and then submitting them to digg, netscape and other social sites like them.

Is this common practice to submit your own articles to digg and other sites like it? Seems like the whole point of digg is for other people who like your site/article to digg it for you, not for you to just write stuff and then head to digg to submit?

I would not digg one of my own articles. I have been asked by people to digg their stories or a friends story but I do not do it. In fact I do not even have a digg account.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Gulag View Post
    I would not digg one of my own articles. I have been asked by people to digg their stories or a friends story but I do not do it. In fact I do not even have a digg account.
    I have a digg account, but have never used it really.

I wouldn't digg one of my own articles either. Doesn't seem right, but I didn't know if it was common practice. I guess it is and it isn't depending on who you talk to.

Yes I am sure there is lots of abuse over at digg.

I know that digg can get you lots of traffic if you end up on the homepage.
    Need help improving your tennis game, then visit my Tennis Forums and Tennis Articles

Quote Originally Posted by newdeveloper View Post
    I know that digg can get you lots of traffic if you end up on the homepage.
    Yeah, but is it really worth it?

A lot of sites have shown that their traffic from digg is for the most part worthless as they don't click any ads, they don't convert on any affiliate offers, they hardly ever leave comments and nine times out of ten, they don't return to the site after that one time.

So, with that said, getting your site dugg, it's really about as good as just having a hacker shut down your site/server cause that's all it will really do. Maybe I'm wrong?

Registered
    It's well worth it. First off, if you're being dugg, put up some CPM ads; we all know that Digg users are "ad blind."

If you are dugg, there is a good chance that you will also pick up a few backlinks from other websites.
    Max

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Cat Buxton View Post
    So why not digg your own stuff?
    People do, but I guess there is a sort of unethical aspect of digging your other stuff. Digg is there for others to digg the articles they like, not really for people to write articles and then start digging it. If I had to guess though, I'm sure there are people out there with numerous digg accounts and they log into each individually and digg their articles. May be wrong though.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxS View Post
    It's well worth it. First off, if you're being dugg, put up some CPM ads; we all know that Digg users are "ad blind."

If you are dugg, there is a good chance that you will also pick up a few backlinks from other websites.

Yeah, I don't really have enough traffic to monetize yet.

What are some good CPM ads? What kind of traffic do you normally need to be accepted to display CPM ads?

Not that blue at all Blue Cat Buxton's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by deronsizemore View Post
    People do, but I guess there is a sort of unethical aspect of digging your other stuff. Digg is there for others to digg the articles they like, not really for people to write articles and then start digging it. If I had to guess though, I'm sure there are people out there with numerous digg accounts and they log into each individually and digg their articles. May be wrong though.
    No more unethical than black hat seo etc, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Cat Buxton View Post
    No more unethical than black hat seo etc, though.
    Oh yeah, you're right about that and I didn't mean to sound that digging your own articles was like the worst thing you could do as far as the web's sort of unwritten rules. I guess if digging your own articles is the worst thing you do to get ahead of the game, then you're pretty good compared to others in the industry that push the limits of ethics.