Thread: Freelance Writers

Registered

Post Freelance Writers

Where do you find them?

I've tried a few forums but I'm not looking for your typical content writer who spits out 500 word articles in a matter of minutes. I'm looking for creative writers for non-paragraphical content.

I've been looking around Facebook for English majors who want to earn some cash on the side. I've found one or two "keepers."

Anyone?
    Max

For prewritten articles I've used Constant Content (review on this site).

I've also just stumbled over a writer who was a forum mod/active member for me.
    Chris Beasley - My Guide to Building a Successful Website[size=1]
    Content Sites: ABCDFGHIJKLMNOP|Forums: ABCD EF|Ecommerce: Swords Knives

Registered
    Yea, that's the thing, I'm not looking for article content. I'm not looking for anything close to sales copy, either. CC has made my bookmarks, though.
    Max

4x4
    Craigslist.

I found a couple good ones from there.

Actually all of my freelance writers have come to me. I simply solicit writers on my site with a link to a writers wanted page that details what I'm looking for. If I'm really actively looking for writers I move the writers wanted link to the top of my sidebar menu. If I'm passively looking I move it to the bottom of the menu. I also use geo-targeting to turn the link off for those countries that I do not want applicants from. This has worked very well for me and I have been able to recruit some really high qualified writers in this manner. In fact most of my most recent writers have PhDs.
    Ken Barbalace - EnvironmentalChemistry.com (Environmental Careers, Blog)
    InternetSAR.org: Volunteers Assisting Search and Rescue via the Internet
    My Firefox Theme Classic Compact: Based onFirefox's classic theme but uses much less window space

What is the sort of going rate, per hour, article? Obviously it would be dependent on what sort of niche/experience, but what sort of ballpark figure, without insulting someone.

Does anyone get articles written in exchange for promotion of said persons products in the article?

Articles are normally paid for by the word. The going rate depends upon the topic area and how good of writers you want. Some people pay only a few cents per word for throw away articles and it can go as high as $1 or more per word for really high quality specialized stuff. I pay $0.20 per word as it is the max I can afford to pay given how long it takes for me to pay back articles. If I could afford to pay $0.50 per word I'd get a lot more extremely high quality articles.
    Ken Barbalace - EnvironmentalChemistry.com (Environmental Careers, Blog)
    InternetSAR.org: Volunteers Assisting Search and Rescue via the Internet
    My Firefox Theme Classic Compact: Based onFirefox's classic theme but uses much less window space