Thread: OSC Store "SEO"

4x4

OSC Store "SEO"

So I know about the CRELoaded but what about someone who has OSC installed already but needs some SEO optimization.

Over 2,000 pages indexed but all w/the generic same title, and description thus all are supplemental and doing terrible in serps.

Is there a Title & Meta Desc. add-on I should get because it's appearing that even the index.php?p=##&whatever=whatever crap is getting indexed good just not w/good titles and descriptions

Thnx.
    -todd

Registered
    This contribution sounds like what you want: http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,207

When I set mine up since I was modifying a lot of stuff already, I just hacked it to use the product name on product pages and category name on category pages, leaving the default site name for other pages like account, cart etc. It was fairly simple with basic PHP knowledge.
    ________
    VERMONT MARIJUANA DISPENSARY
    Last edited by rpanella; 03-17-2011 at 10:52 AM.

There were a couple contributions I had to use. One did the meta tags for products, another for categories. Then I hand tweaked the category one to add yet another field that did a paragraph of visible text for each category as well.
    Chris Beasley - My Guide to Building a Successful Website[size=1]
    Content Sites: ABCDFGHIJKLMNOP|Forums: ABCD EF|Ecommerce: Swords Knives

4x4
    Quote Originally Posted by rpanella View Post
    This contribution sounds like what you want: http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,207

When I set mine up since I was modifying a lot of stuff already, I just hacked it to use the product name on product pages and category name on category pages, leaving the default site name for other pages like account, cart etc. It was fairly simple with basic PHP knowledge.
    What about for making the URL's SE friendly? If I'm going to make the changes to the titles and meta I'd like to do the URL structure too..

Maybe I should just remove his entire OSC install and re-install with CRE ? Has anyone done this.

4x4
    Looks like OSC cost money now and SEO URL's isn't even part of the package CRE SEO URL is an add-on that cost $50 now! Grr

I am using Zen which is based on OSC and it seems to do the trick. Meta tags are built in and the only third party add on I added was SEO urls.

4x4
    Well if it was my choice the store would have been MIVA5 not OSC but it wasn't so I'm stuck optimizing this how it is...

I need to see if I can update to CRELoaded w/out doing any major database tweaks or changes.

4x4
    Looks like CRE is not NEAR as good as it used to be.

It doesn't have half the features of hte old FREE version, and the SEO add-on is $50 more now, stupid crazy.

Looks like I'll be doing some of the free-addons myself...

4x4

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by rpanella View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    There were a couple contributions I had to use. One did the meta tags for products, another for categories. Then I hand tweaked the category one to add yet another field that did a paragraph of visible text for each category as well.
    Hey Chris, do you have someone who does OSC module installs? I need the above module isntalled and don't have time to read the docs. and learn to do it myself right now. If so could you PM me contact info.

Thanks
    -Todd

try oshelpers.com

4x4
    Thanks, have you had them do any work? I Just called and it went right to voicemail.

There site looks good, and I may have them do a lot of work if they work out.

-Todd

Yup, they redid my sword site backend, and they did my knife site.

4x4
    Awesome, I talked to the guy on AIM he's going to call me soon.
    -Todd

Registered
    on a side note... be careful with the seo urls. When making product changes you have to be sure to check them to see if the cache needs to be reset or they will change themselves for you to whatever it wants. My newest site also had googlebot indexing the javascript popup windows and putting the product pages into supplemental... something else to look out for if you use the javascript pop ups.. Thanks for mentioning oshelpers.com Chris. I have used them also.
    Last edited by tommy_boy; 06-04-2007 at 11:11 AM.