Thread: Credit Card Miles ? Which one ?

Credit Card Miles ? Which one ?

One of my goals is to travel next year and while i cant see myself saving enough money to do so i plan to get a miles card and eventually in time will accure enough miles for a vacation somewhere.

I did some research on various cards but they all seem to hide the fine print and fees and only show you the benefits so that makes me a bit worried.

4x4
    American Express business card... up to 5% cash back on day to day and business stuff as well as a list of preffered providers which offer up to 15% back (FeDex, etc)

1% Cash back on everything else.

Use your "cash back" money to travel... by putting that much $ in your saving account each month.

-TOdd

Actually....

I have an Amex Card, and a Worldperks visa business card.

Previously what I did was use my Amex for everything, and my visa for places that wouldn't take amex (like my largest supplier, spent 6+ figures a year with). The crappy thing was it took me awhile to build up a large enough credit limit to put my biggest shipments on the card or I would have had a million miles I'm sure.

Anyways. As I blogged recently I spent 400k miles from the visa to get 2 first class tickets to rome. Now, on NWA.com those same tickets cost $8k each. Meaning I saved $16k or 4 cents per mile. On Expedia a similar flight (thought not exactly the same, 1 extra stop, slightly longer) cost $5k each. So 2.5 cents per mile.

Additionally I was using the "pass" rule where I paid double miles to have no restrictions. (they only allocate x number of miles seats per flight, so you have to book way way in advance). Had I known I was travelling 6 months ago I could have paid half the miles for the same flight, doubling the value per mile.

Most AMEX awards in my experience are worth a straight 1 cent per point. Which is decidedly less. Also, while the extra cash back at Staples/Kinkos, etc is nice... it isn't huge.

In anycase, you can't just have an AMEX, not everyone takes it. So a visa is needed as well. I mostly use my amex because it has no limit and so I don't need to worry about how much I put on it, then I use the rewards for Home Depot gift cards for stuff around the house. But the Visa reward is decidedly nicer I think.

Just don't get a crapital one card, they suck. A special place in hell is reserved for that company.
    Chris Beasley - My Guide to Building a Successful Website[size=1]
    Content Sites: ABCDFGHIJKLMNOP|Forums: ABCD EF|Ecommerce: Swords Knives

When you pay cash, they'll usually waive sales tax, at least around here. You can buy a lot of miles with what you save. (Too bad it doesn't work in large chain stores)
    Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it

4x4
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Actually....

I have an Amex Card, and a Worldperks visa business card.

Previously what I did was use my Amex for everything, and my visa for places that wouldn't take amex (like my largest supplier, spent 6+ figures a year with). The crappy thing was it took me awhile to build up a large enough credit limit to put my biggest shipments on the card or I would have had a million miles I'm sure.

Anyways. As I blogged recently I spent 400k miles from the visa to get 2 first class tickets to rome. Now, on NWA.com those same tickets cost $8k each. Meaning I saved $16k or 4 cents per mile. On Expedia a similar flight (thought not exactly the same, 1 extra stop, slightly longer) cost $5k each. So 2.5 cents per mile.

Additionally I was using the "pass" rule where I paid double miles to have no restrictions. (they only allocate x number of miles seats per flight, so you have to book way way in advance). Had I known I was travelling 6 months ago I could have paid half the miles for the same flight, doubling the value per mile.

Most AMEX awards in my experience are worth a straight 1 cent per point. Which is decidedly less. Also, while the extra cash back at Staples/Kinkos, etc is nice... it isn't huge.

In anycase, you can't just have an AMEX, not everyone takes it. So a visa is needed as well. I mostly use my amex because it has no limit and so I don't need to worry about how much I put on it, then I use the rewards for Home Depot gift cards for stuff around the house. But the Visa reward is decidedly nicer I think.

Just don't get a crapital one card, they suck. A special place in hell is reserved for that company.
    Yep, gotta have a VISA too.

I thought my AMEX did cashback off the bill... so if you spent $5000 and get $75 back the bill is $5000-75 I'll have to check on this, I know one of my other VISA's is like this.

It's nice to get 5% off gas when you spend nearly $100 to fill a tank that adds up quick.

4x4
    Quote Originally Posted by demosfen View Post
    When you pay cash, they'll usually waive sales tax, at least around here. You can buy a lot of miles with what you save. (Too bad it doesn't work in large chain stores)
    That doesn't work for 99% of the things you buy esp. if you buy a lot online

Last year I did amazon gift cards they give you 1% towards gift cards... that ended up costing me more because I'd always order more so this year I'm going wtih the amex and cash back to save overall heh.

duplicate message
    Last edited by demosfen; 05-09-2007 at 07:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddW View Post
    That doesn't work for 99% of the things you buy esp. if you buy a lot online
    My shopping patterns are different, nowhere near 99% for me. I did change my buying habits since I started doing it though. Like, one grocery gives me 10% discount when I pay cash, so obviously I shop there way more often than when I used cc

Last year I did amazon gift cards they give you 1% towards gift cards... that ended up costing me more because I'd always order more so this year I'm going wtih the amex and cash back to save overall heh.
    Here is a little trick. Have 2 amazon accounts under different names, shop under the 1st one and use affiliate link of the 2nd one. (I'll probably burn in hell for that, but it saved me $150 over the years and it's not clear if hell exists)