Thread: Best/worst days of the week to post new articles and/or blog posts

Best/worst days of the week to post new articles and/or blog posts

From the stand point of getting the maximum immediate exposure/traffic from a new article and/or blog post. I was interested in hearing what days people thought were best to post said articles/posts?

For me I think Saturday is the worst day because this is my lowest traffic day and I will get way fewer first day readers for a new item on a Saturday than any other day of the week. I'm almost thinking Monday mornings (Eastern Time) are the best time to post something new.

Everyone's thoughts and feedback would be appreciated.
    Ken Barbalace - EnvironmentalChemistry.com (Environmental Careers, Blog)
    InternetSAR.org: Volunteers Assisting Search and Rescue via the Internet
    My Firefox Theme Classic Compact: Based onFirefox's classic theme but uses much less window space

Well Saturday or Sunday are no go. My traffic is nearly cut in half for a weekend. I'd go for Monday. People will come on, fresh from the weekend, and catch up on all the blogs they usually read.
    Don't you just love free internet games ?

Registered
    People don't participate on your site on Mondays, they just visit and clean out their "blog inbox." Thursday is the best day.

Well there are two objectives for me. The primary objective is to get "regulars" to visit and read new articles/posts. The secondary and much less important objective is to get them to participate in my blog.

With my blog I'm thinking of trying to post three or four times a week with no more than one post per day. I'm trying to get my article posting to once every other week.

I was thinking that I would post blog entries on Monday, Wednesday & Friday and new articles to my main site on Mondays. My thinking is that this would add predictability to my publishing for my readers.
    My Firefox Theme Classic Compact: Based onFirefox's classic theme but uses much less window space

Quote Originally Posted by Selkirk View Post
    People don't participate on your site on Mondays, they just visit and clean out their "blog inbox." Thursday is the best day.
    Thursday? Any reason?
    Don't you just love free internet games ?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Thursday? Any reason?
    Maybe because people are starting to slack more as they near the end of the work week.

Site Contributor
    I know this with a lot of research, I studied it when I did press release marketing.

On Thursday and Friday people are wrapping up the week and some people don't even consider Friday a real workday anymore (I don't). On Monday, people are catching up from things that happened over the weekend and usually have a list of tasks that they need to get started on for the week.

Definitely not Monday -- Tuesday or Wednesday, preferably Tuesday.

Hmm, it sounds like a Mon, Wed & Fri for blogging and Tuesdays for article publishing would be a good schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by KLB View Post
    Hmm, it sounds like a Mon, Wed & Fri for blogging and Tuesdays for article publishing would be a good schedule.
    Can you explain your definition of blogging vs. article publishing? Seems one in the same to me?

For me blogging takes place on http://blog.environmentalchemistry.com and are opinion pieces, comments, etc. about current news events, etc. that are primarily written by myself. Articles are published on http://EnvironmentalChemistry.com and are hard reporting and researched papers that I have commissioned. These articles are fully cited and are written by scientists, researchers and professionals who have specialized knowledge on the subject. My articles are the types of articles you might find in a science magazine. A further differentiation is that my articles tend to be timeless while my blog posts are timely. I might take an hour or two to research and write a blog entry, but the articles I publish take many hours of research conducted over several weeks.

More simply put, there is a huge editorial difference between my blog posts and the articles I publish; as well as a massive difference in cost (free for blog posts vs. hundreds of dollars per article).

This would make a good blog post... Shawn you wanna? (having apparently read research and all).
    Chris Beasley - My Guide to Building a Successful Website[size=1]
    Content Sites: ABCDFGHIJKLMNOP|Forums: ABCD EF|Ecommerce: Swords Knives

Registered
    The timing depends on the topic and goals of your post. Here are my guidelines:

If the post requires thought, don't post on Monday or Friday. If you have something link-worthy or controversial, post earlier in the week in order to give people a chance to link to you. If you have reference material you want people to bookmark, but not necessarily read, post it on Monday. If you want more people to visit the page, post earlier in the week. If you want more people to click on your ads, comment or visit other parts of your site, post later in the week. If you have something off-topic or whimsical, post it on friday or the weekend. If you have something timely, post it immediately.

Just my observations on blogging. I don't know how article publishing or press releases might be different.

Quote Originally Posted by KLB View Post
    For me blogging takes place on http://blog.environmentalchemistry.com and are opinion pieces, comments, etc. about current news events, etc. that are primarily written by myself. Articles are published on http://EnvironmentalChemistry.com and are hard reporting and researched papers that I have commissioned. These articles are fully cited and are written by scientists, researchers and professionals who have specialized knowledge on the subject. My articles are the types of articles you might find in a science magazine. A further differentiation is that my articles tend to be timeless while my blog posts are timely. I might take an hour or two to research and write a blog entry, but the articles I publish take many hours of research conducted over several weeks.

More simply put, there is a huge editorial difference between my blog posts and the articles I publish; as well as a massive difference in cost (free for blog posts vs. hundreds of dollars per article).
    I see, thank you!