Thread: When do you consider yourself an "expert"?

When do you consider yourself an "expert"?

Whether it be in HTML, CSS, SEO, Marketing, etc....at what point do you feel you are at expert level opposed to intermediate level? I know a lot of factors go in to something like this, just curious as to what everyone thinks.

Registered
    What does it matter?

Just keep learning and being curious and take the information which isn going to be most useful for you...

I just don't have the time to keep up with everything, so I would say I am a super beginner even though I have been about a while if it means anything
    Wannabebig - Bodybuilding and weightlifting articles
    Wannabebig - Bodybuilding forums
    At Large Nutrition – Your number one choice for nutritional supplements
    Empowering Sounds Hypnosis CDs

It really doesn't matter. Just posing the question cause I was bored and it popped in my head.

When I'm under a lot of pressure and nobody knows who I am. 'X'=unknown, "spurt"=a drip under pressure. xspurt (expert).
    Ken Barbalace - EnvironmentalChemistry.com (Environmental Careers, Blog)
    InternetSAR.org: Volunteers Assisting Search and Rescue via the Internet
    My Firefox Theme Classic Compact: Based onFirefox's classic theme but uses much less window space

Website Developer
    I don't think anyone really is ever an expert when it comes to business. Business is an evolutionary environment, its not controlled like a sporting event or game. Programming HTML, CSS, sure, you can be an expert in that area.

I think what is more important is your comfort level, speed, and ability to produce results. Think about things in terms of yourself not other people.
    Make more money - Read my Web Publishing Blog

Registered
    I have an old blog post on the difference between expert and novice programmers, but it really applies to any difficult to master skill.

Selkirk, those definitions are actually pretty good with one exception the following "rules" bit is in inverse order for what it should be for web developers. It is the novice that completely ignores the rules (e.g. W3C specifications) and it is the expert that adheres to the rules most closely. With an expert coding to W3C specifications becomes almost second nature.
    Ken Barbalace - EnvironmentalChemistry.com (Environmental Careers, Blog)
    InternetSAR.org: Volunteers Assisting Search and Rescue via the Internet
    My Firefox Theme Classic Compact: Based onFirefox's classic theme but uses much less window space

Just when you think you know everything, the rules change. Story of life!
    Those who were once experts are now trying play catch up. Basically I like the way Cloughie put it "I am a super beginner".

Quote Originally Posted by deronsizemore View Post
    Whether it be in HTML, CSS, SEO, Marketing, etc....at what point do you feel you are at expert level opposed to intermediate level? I know a lot of factors go in to something like this, just curious as to what everyone thinks.
    You can feel it when you almost know everything...

Helping those who needs help...

4x4
    Quote Originally Posted by allout View Post
    Just when you think you know everything, the rules change. Story of life!
    Those who were once experts are now trying play catch up. Basically I like the way Cloughie put it "I am a super beginner".
    Exactly.

You can be an expert computer builder one year and then a year goes by, technology changes and you are lost again. Same holds true for almost any technology related topic.