Thread: National Academy of Sciences employing blatant dark gray hat SEO

National Academy of Sciences employing blatant dark gray hat SEO

I was doing some research today on a new report the National Academy of Sciences released the other day on wind turbines. Like so many scientific publications the bulk of the paper can only be accessed for a fee without significant hassles. When I scrolled down the page, however, I discovered a mountain of text in a super tiny 8px font. This text was preceded with the following comment:
    Do not use for reproduction, copying, pasting, or reading; exclusively for search engines.

In other words they are employing 1990's style key word padding to ensure to help push themselves up in the SERPs.

What the f---- is up with that??? How many sites do we know that have been thumped by Google for this type of games?

This is stupid SEO tricks that I would expect from a noobie SEO who thinks Frontpage is a great website development tool. It is not the kind of stupid trick I would have expected to see from the publishing arm of a highly respected scientific institution.

See for yourself at: http://books.nap.edu/openbook.php?re...=11935&page=48
    Ken Barbalace - EnvironmentalChemistry.com (Environmental Careers, Blog)
    InternetSAR.org: Volunteers Assisting Search and Rescue via the Internet
    My Firefox Theme Classic Compact: Based onFirefox's classic theme but uses much less window space

Gimme Fries with that!
    its pretty funny

How do documents you have to pay a fee to get onto end up on google? I've notice google indexing them, then when you click it asks you to pay...

Probably the sniff out the IP address and/or UA string of bots and let them pass, but make others pay.
    Ken Barbalace - EnvironmentalChemistry.com (Environmental Careers, Blog)
    InternetSAR.org: Volunteers Assisting Search and Rescue via the Internet
    My Firefox Theme Classic Compact: Based onFirefox's classic theme but uses much less window space

It is always amazing to come across things like this from places you'd think wouldn't expect but unfortunately there are still a lot of people and companies who do not know any better.

The allowing google to index but charging visitors is really annoying but I've seen it less than I used to, its not too difficult for google to counter.

Gimme Fries with that!
    why wouldnt folks just read the cache rather then buying with the google method? I am not familiar with the technique.

they disable the cache too
    Chris Beasley - My Guide to Building a Successful Website[size=1]
    Content Sites: ABCDFGHIJKLMNOP|Forums: ABCD EF|Ecommerce: Swords Knives