Thread: What is your advice for a newbie to web publishing?

Junior Registered

What is your advice for a newbie to web publishing?

Hey, I signed up here a few months back. This is a great site, and from the looks of it has quite a few successful people on it. Web publishing looks promising to me in terms of making a living (and beyond ) and working when I want, from where I want and how I want.

You know I learnt about publishing websites for money back in 2004 but never really followed up on it by actually creating websites. I am kicking myself for it now!

For those of you who are making a living or significant income from this business... what advice can you give to one who is starting out?

Thanks!

Provide the best content you can on your site. Don't used copied articles and such on your site make it as original as possible. Promote the heck out of it by adding to free directories, submitting to search engines and try to get as many one way backlinks as possible. Using forms and signature lines also help to promote your site.

Read this for more tips and ideas: http://www.websitepublisher.net/website_promotion/

Junior Registered
    Quote Originally Posted by allout View Post
    Using forms and signature lines also help to promote your site.
    what do you mean by forms and where would you use them?

Hi - See this site, it's good. http://www.websitepublisher.net/

Registered
    Quote Originally Posted by Xed View Post
    what do you mean by forms and where would you use them?
    I think he meant "Forums".

I don't make a living from my own websites yet (im a freelance developer), so im not the best one to advice you...but i think most will agree that in order to succeed and make a living out of this...you need to work hard. Sounds simple, but it's not. I bet most of the guys here that are successful at this, didn't put up 1 or 2 quick and easy sites and start making a living of that in 2 months.

If you keep building and working good quality sites, you'll be able to make a living of this. Just don't expect to do it in a few days.

Registered
    Two things that come to mind:

• Go big or don't go at all. If you're going to launch a website, do it properly - make a full effort.
    • Don't take the easy way out. There are all sorts of shortcuts to making some fast cash, but in the end, they aren't worth your time.
    • Work smart, not hard. Statistics are key.

They're all clichés, but they're overused for a reason. The third suggestion may seem like it contradicts the second, but it really doesn't.
    Last edited by MaxS; 04-28-2007 at 12:01 AM.
    Max

Junior Registered
    Thanks! Max, can you elaborate on the third point on the statistics part?
    Last edited by Xed; 04-28-2007 at 11:15 AM.

Website Developer
    Man, that blows. I got into this stuff in 2004 and ultimately ended up dropping everything including a free college tuition. There is soooooo much money out there right now.

First step is make a website about something you like. That gives you the motivation to learn the quirks and figure out the annoying stuff without giving up.

Second thing, get the roadblocks out of the way. You will find out quickly if you are either the kind of person who finds reasons to work, or reasons not to work. If you really want it, you are going to push your friends, family, school, girlfriend and work out of the way. Most people can't follow through, and this is the reason why.
    Make more money - Read my Web Publishing Blog

Registered
    Quote Originally Posted by Xed View Post
    Thanks! Max, can you elaborate on the third point on the statistics part?
    Sure, optimization is key. Make sure to use a statistics program such as Google Analytics to ensure you're getting the most out of each visitor.

Also, don't forget to test ad placements. You would be surprised what performs the best.
    Max

Junior Registered
    Quote Originally Posted by Cutter View Post
    Second thing, get the roadblocks out of the way. You will find out quickly if you are either the kind of person who finds reasons to work, or reasons not to work.
    Isn't that the truth? I am finding that out now. We'll see how much perseverance I have.

Junior Registered
    Another thing I am finding out is I must break down the end goal into smaller tasks or it just seems too overwhelming.
    I've just been an Internet End user till now. So learning and using these developing skills is a wide learning curve. Not complaining, just stating a fact.