Thread: Check out my site

Check out my site

I started this site three weeks ago and I just revamped the layout. Please let me know what you think and any suggestions.

http://www.frugalwiz.com

Registered
    To be honest, it definitely needs work. It looks like it's out of the '90s. The code is no different, either; You should look into CSS. By the way, I hope you do not take offence. I'm simply giving you my honest opinion so that you can improve it.

The left navigation should be a different color than the header. Rather than links with line breaks, you should consider making a vertical list.

You are using too many colors for the text. Between the colors and the random sizes, it's easy for a reader to be overwhelmed. Also, you have overused the bold tag, which diminishes its effectiveness. You're not actually accentuating the text, which is what bold is used for, if it's so liberally used.

I would move the search box to the right column so that the content will be further up the page.

As far as ad optimization, I would change the background color of the Google ad in the left column to the same color as the left column. I would also change the text of the ads to the same color as the links.

It seems as if you're using the index page to post news. I would suggest making each news post in it's own 'box' (table).

That's all for now. Good luck!
    Last edited by MaxS; 04-19-2007 at 04:21 PM.
    Max

You might just want to use a good CSS template from a place like www.oswd.org rather than designing your own - I'm hopeless at designing too, either pay someone to make you one or get a free template.

If you don't, follow Max's tips, and these:

Make the header a lot smaller - it's far too high. Also change it's background colour, it really hurts the eye.

Make the left menu a different colour, something much much lighter, a light grey or white is best.

Change your font. Garamond, Tahoma and Verdana are much easier on the eye.

Make the corner between the header and left menu into a curve.

Ok been a little while since I responed to you on this, I have been working on the site and totally redid the template. Please let me know what you think of the new look. The template as done for free for me.

Thanks for any feedback !