Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: horrible news from google

horrible news from google

Read this post AND the comments: http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/how-to-report-paid-links/

Now I have just started reading the comments to this post, and I haven't seen a follow up comment by Matt yet... but this is VERY serious. I'm hoping after I finish going through the comments, Matt elaborates on this more.

Post your thoughts, and I (or anyone who finds new info before me) will post updates as I find them.
    Kyle

Matt also posted this on the same day (today)..
    http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/hidden-links/

In this post, he says if you sell text links, you need to make sure pagerank is not passed. He gives examples of using rel=nofollow, or configuring your robots.txt.
    Kyle

I don't buy links myself, but I think this can get complicated... and I find it weird how they are asking webmasters to submit data. As if the data they need is hard to find?

The good news, is when they start putting a stop to link purchasing (to the best of their abilities), it will help level the playing field for small sites.

This may encourage more garbage sites to be created. People may get into the business of creating a site on some highly profitable niche, buying massive amounts of links, then cashing in for the few months it ranks in search engines before being dropped.

What about directories?

What about free directories? Can they still rank on terms without the directory being penalized/blocked from sending PR? Will they get a filter (all except DMOZ, the exception to the rule as usual)?

This is all going to get very complicated.
    Last edited by Kyle; 04-15-2007 at 07:44 PM.
    Kyle

This is a duplicate of Chris' thread on this issue and I've made my thoughts known about it in that thread. See: http://www.websitepublisher.net/foru...ead.php?t=7588
    Ken Barbalace - EnvironmentalChemistry.com (Environmental Careers, Blog)
    InternetSAR.org: Volunteers Assisting Search and Rescue via the Internet
    My Firefox Theme Classic Compact: Based onFirefox's classic theme but uses much less window space

Google have to be seen to be doing something to skew the growing trend of scrappy sites buying there way to the top.

How they are going to be able to tell if a link is paid, is another thing. A Link is a link, and even if they manage to recognize the text-link-ads block style of ads, it is in turn going to go further underground.

But yes, interesting times ahead. It is going to be an uphill battle for google,

Quote Originally Posted by KLB View Post
    This is a duplicate of Chris' thread on this issue and I've made my thoughts known about it in that thread. See: http://www.websitepublisher.net/foru...ead.php?t=7588
    All of us cannot read that thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Gulag View Post
    All of us cannot read that thread.
    Sorry about that, I didn't notice the location of the thread.
    Ken Barbalace - EnvironmentalChemistry.com (Environmental Careers, Blog)
    InternetSAR.org: Volunteers Assisting Search and Rescue via the Internet
    My Firefox Theme Classic Compact: Based onFirefox's classic theme but uses much less window space

Knee jerk is good from me. How they propose to police it is an issue, although at least the low hanging fruit will be dealt with quickly if there is any manual intervention.

Didn't phpbb get blacklisted for selling PR for a while...?

I'm very happy they are doing this. This will mean people can't buy their way to the top and instead actually have to create a high quality website that people will want to link to naturally.
    John Conde :: brainyminds
    Merchant Account Services -- Merchant Services Resources
    IT'S HERE: Integrate the Authorize.net Payment Gateway with PHP
    Everything you need to integrate Authorize.net into your website with PHP. Includes an explanation of how transactions work, validating credit cards, and the source code for free.

I'm with Stymiee on this one - its doesn't seem too bad... all they are saying is you can't buy or sell PR - nothing too wrong with that
    I Do Website Design - but I am here to learn all about publishing

Registered
    I read this yesterday, it's definitely a substantial change. I just wonder how Text Link Ads, AdBrite, etc, will respond.

Quote Originally Posted by stymiee View Post
    I'm very happy they are doing this. This will mean people can't buy their way to the top and instead actually have to create a high quality website that people will want to link to naturally.
    I suppose it's good and bad. In theory, it sounds like a decent move, but I'm still wondering how they will execute this.

What about link exchanges?
    Max

Registered
    By my reading, it only looked like they were collecting the information in order to calibrate their algorithms, not to manually penalize sites.

If you read the comments in the original post, Matt specifically says that AdBrite is fine because they use JavaScript to generate the links.

Text Link Ads could be another matter though (I believe they are just regular links?). Then again, penalizing them could be a good thing, there's a lot of spam on their sites.
    Don't you just love free internet games ?

Quote Originally Posted by MaxS View Post
    What about link exchanges?
    Link exchanges don't involve money changing hands so it won't be affect by this. Although they clearly have been affected by other changes and aren't worthwhile anymore.
    John Conde :: brainyminds
    Merchant Account Services -- Merchant Services Resources
    IT'S HERE: Integrate the Authorize.net Payment Gateway with PHP
    Everything you need to integrate Authorize.net into your website with PHP. Includes an explanation of how transactions work, validating credit cards, and the source code for free.

Quote Originally Posted by stymiee View Post
    Link exchanges don't involve money changing hands so it won't be affect by this. Although they clearly have been affected by other changes and aren't worthwhile anymore.
    How will they tell the differeence between a text link that has been paid for and a text link that was not paid for. Like the ones in my sig below, can anyone tell if someone paid me to add one there?

(PS - No one has paid me to link to my own sites. )