Thread: What is needed to create a Craigslist type website?

Junior Registered

What is needed to create a Craigslist type website?

A friend of mine, who is a college student, would like to create a forum, similiar to craigslist, that encourages the exchange and sale of books and items between students at his school. He plans to keep it a private site because students must have a university email address in order to sign up. The website allows students to make posts about things that they want to buy or sell (textbooks, furniture, electronics), rooms for rent, jobs wanted, and pretty much anything else. He'd also include classroom forums devoted to different department where students can post questions about assignments, tests, or any class related material. We will also have links to CP weather, and potentially bar/restaurant nightly specials.

What legal issues would need to be addressed? Trademark? Registration? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

There are hardly any legal issues.

Trademarks are for unique business names and are automatic. He can put a "TM" in his logo if he wants to. He doesn't need to register it, a registered trademark has an (R).

The thing is though he probably cannot use official school logos or mascots in his design without permission. He could use the school colors, but not a picture of the mascot, the official letters/symbols, etc. Nothing you'd see a on T-Shirt at the university book store.

Other than that there should be no restrictions.
    Chris Beasley - My Guide to Building a Successful Website[size=1]
    Content Sites: ABCDFGHIJKLMNOP|Forums: ABCD EF|Ecommerce: Swords Knives

Registered
    Yea, Chris pretty much covered the legalities.

I would suggest looking into Facebook's API - you may want to use their member system.
    Max

Junior Registered
    Have you chosen a software application? How about Noah's Classifieds?

Q...

Junior Registered

Hey

Hey,

I tried to delve into this specific matter and dug some very useful information. A site, user generated or not, web 2.0 or not, is an interesting thing to run and a very mind expanding experience. I highly suggest trying Joomla, first by reading about it then by experimenting with it, I think it will help you build a robust Content Management System that most likely suit your needs.

My two cents,
    Jason

Junior Registered
    There are many craigslist clone scripts out there you can find, most I believe under $100 as well
    HostV - VPS Hosting - http://www.hostv.com

I just saw this website craiglist. By itself the website seems to be quite complicated! can you tell us how much further complicated site you intend to design?

Junior Registered
    Well i also think Joomla would be a good solution! There exists lots of extensions for Joomla also it shouldnt be that hard to create your own extensions, templates, and other things like that!

-M-

Junior Registered

Similar Site

Quote Originally Posted by kim12121 View Post
    A friend of mine, who is a college student, would like to create a forum, similiar to craigslist, that encourages the exchange and sale of books and items between students at his school. He plans to keep it a private site because students must have a university email address in order to sign up. The website allows students to make posts about things that they want to buy or sell (textbooks, furniture, electronics), rooms for rent, jobs wanted, and pretty much anything else. He'd also include classroom forums devoted to different department where students can post questions about assignments, tests, or any class related material. We will also have links to CP weather, and potentially bar/restaurant nightly specials.

What legal issues would need to be addressed? Trademark? Registration? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
    I have a similar idea. and wanted to know how difficult it would be... I want the students to trade books, or w/e... and I want to show the Bookstore price of every book. Plus i want to be able to put your course code in and get the book for your class if thats possible... On top of it all i want it to be a subscription site that costs 10$ for they year.... Is this possible... can I alter a craigslist script to do this.. is it a lot of work. How many hours do you think in scripting.. Please respond... If your interested in helping me then email me..

Registered
    joomla is the good solution for creating any extensions or forums i believe..it is a open source cms(content management system)..as a web developer i go with joomla..and i have built variety of sites using joomla.U can check me here...