Thread: Same META or None

4x4

Same META or None

What do you guys think...best to have NO Meta tags or the same throughout the site

same better than none.
    Chris Beasley - My Guide to Building a Successful Website[size=1]
    Content Sites: ABCDFGHIJKLMNOP|Forums: ABCD EF|Ecommerce: Swords Knives

Junior Registered
    Why either the same, and why have none?

Why don't you have different meta tags on every page?

Probably a CMS without the ability to do that natively.
    Chris Beasley - My Guide to Building a Successful Website[size=1]
    Content Sites: ABCDFGHIJKLMNOP|Forums: ABCD EF|Ecommerce: Swords Knives

4x4
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Probably a CMS without the ability to do that natively.
    Correct.

Wordpress being used as a CMS out of the box does not have the ability to do keywords/description for each post but I can set a static one that will be shown throughout the site.

I'll probably end up installing the plugin that lets me do custom META tags for each post, I was still debating about it or not.

I was trying to avoid installing a lot of plugins but this one is rather simple so in the end I'll probably install it
    Last edited by Todd W; 04-08-2007 at 09:03 PM.

4x4
    The WP Plugin is simple and works good. You can use it in "automated mode" or you can define description and a categry per "post", "page", "homepage" and Category Pages are automaticaly created. My only modification will be to find a way to make it so I can set custom meta tags for category pages, currently the first ~150 or so words are used as the description and the kw's are the category name.

Takes 10 seconds to install and learn to use.

Owner of Ezdate123
    If you have the same metas on each page Google sees that as basically one page.... You will need to make each page unique with seperate meta tags....This is important with Google. It takes more work but is worth it.
    I did an experiment with a nothing website with no linksss, no page rank and the site was free. I made each page unique with seperate meta tags...the site is small...htmlfox.com and is being picked up with certain keywords on Google... So my main site ezdate123 we had to incorporate Mod Rewrite for our dynamic pages for the same reasons....We are still looking for results but it certainly should do more good and no harm.....
    Visis my free dating site.....ezdate123
    http://ezdate123.com

4x4
    Quote Originally Posted by kramerman View Post
    If you have the same metas on each page Google sees that as basically one page.... You will need to make each page unique with seperate meta tags....This is important with Google. It takes more work but is worth it.
    I did an experiment with a nothing website with no linksss, no page rank and the site was free. I made each page unique with seperate meta tags...the site is small...htmlfox.com and is being picked up with certain keywords on Google... So my main site ezdate123 we had to incorporate Mod Rewrite for our dynamic pages for the same reasons....We are still looking for results but it certainly should do more good and no harm.....
    Pretty much wrong.

I found a site that I've had online for ~3 years with same meta tags on every page (100+), and before google got rid of "supplemental" none were in those results, and all were indexed.

Registered
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddW View Post
    Pretty much wrong.

I found a site that I've had online for ~3 years with same meta tags on every page (100+), and before google got rid of "supplemental" none were in those results, and all were indexed.
    Having same tag will not let your site getting into " supplemental " rather each page should have a seperate meta tag related to the content of the page it help bots to know what the page is about and even helps visitor.

4x4
    Quote Originally Posted by andyf View Post
    Having same tag will not let your site getting into " supplemental " rather each page should have a seperate meta tag related to the content of the page it help bots to know what the page is about and even helps visitor.
    .... I know what a meta tag is, but thanks for trying.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddW View Post
    What do you guys think...best to have NO Meta tags or the same throughout the site

I think none, but preferably put metas on every pages... 'coz some SEs still uses META if same it will be considered as duplicates I guess...If I don't put metas they will get description from the contents of the page...