Thread: Using own name for a blog or another name?

Using own name for a blog or another name?

I own my name as well as another domain name that I've thought about turning into a blog. What is better when running a blog? I've seen blog posts on other blogs that say to go with your own name, but I figure if I start a blog under my name and then later down the road get in a situation where I want to sell the blog, it wont be very attractive to anyone else as the domain is my name. So I think it would be better for me to use the domain name that isn't my name.

Thoughts?

Great question... one good thing about going with your name is branding. Theres probally only one Deron Sizemore's out there ... also it associates you with the niche that your trying to brand yourself with. When i think of Chris Beasley !!! i think Website Publisher / Affiliate Marketer. When we think of Matt Cutts we think Google ... It depends on the type of content you have i assume ... my 2 cents...

I think if it is going to be a personal blog (portfolio, stuff about you, things you like and an occasional article on varying topics that do not relate to you at all) than using your name is fine, but if you plan to write articles on a topics not related to you and maybe selling the site at some point, than I might use the other name.

The potential sale issue down the road is a big enough reason for me.
    Chris Beasley - My Guide to Building a Successful Website[size=1]
    Content Sites: ABCDFGHIJKLMNOP|Forums: ABCD EF|Ecommerce: Swords Knives

I guess I'll probably use the name that isn't my own. Although I anticipate writing about myself, I also anticipate a lot more writing topics other than simply stuff about me. Although selling the site is a LONG way down the road when the site is only the result of a brainstorming session, but at least if I go with the name that isn't mine, I will at least keep the selling option open. If it's my name, not matter how popular the blog gets, if it ever does, selling would for the most part be out.

Thanks for the thoughts everyone

Registered
    Well, it depends. If the content is going to be completely personal, then you should use your name.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxS View Post
    Well, it depends. If the content is going to be completely personal, then you should use your name.
    Nah, not completely personal. I see the site just being a lot of random thoughts not necessarily dealing with one thing in particular. Could be about me, could be about whatever comes to mind really. I might also set another up that isn't updated as frequently under my own name for stuff that is only based around myself though.

Registered
    I've been tossing around the idea of starting a blog as well much like you have mentioned. Everything I have read discourages the idea of a blog that doesn't have a focus. I look at it as more of my random thoughts on stuff that I'm interested in at the time.

Do you agree with the idea that an unfocused blog is not worth your time?