Thread: TV increases data entry productivity ?

TV increases data entry productivity ?

I havent turned on the tube for about 4 months. The other day while doing some very boring data entry tasks where i normally fall asleep i was watching or more like glancing at without a trace the tv show and managed to stay up a bit longer to get my project done. I notice during the evening hours my productivity decreases and my mind starts to wonder and i been having a hard time staying focused. I been reading alot about the 20 / 80 rule and it seems like i never really work on the 20% that gives me the best outcome because im always wandering off into other things.

I would like to hear some feedback on this..

Gimme Fries with that!
    i rarely watch tv, but always have the news on in the background as im coding or developing something. I find it isnt distracting but keeps me entertained while i work.

Yeah, I always have it on in the background, not sure if it keeps me productive though. Like Emancipator, I just do it for entertainment.
    Don't you just love free internet games ?

Gimme Fries with that!
    i find sitting in the silence makes me less productive. sometimes i swap CNN for music

Registered
    I usually have the TV or music on, but I'm not sure if it increases productivity. It think for some tasks that don't require as much thinking it doesn't really slow me down, but sometimes I either tune it out or turn it off when what I'm doing requires a lot of thought.
    ________
    Portable vaporizer
    Last edited by rpanella; 03-17-2011 at 10:42 AM.

Registered
    I like to watch CSPAN during some boring tasks. Doing the task by itself is too boring and CPSAN by itself is too boring, but together its strangely entertaining and productive.

I see mildly ill people. AmbulanceBlues's Avatar
    I have a clerical job and I always have at least one other thing going at my desk other than my duties. It keeps me alert, otherwise I might get drowsy. Frequently that other thing is reading this site or working on schoolwork. Sometimes I listen to the radio, but it can get in the way of answering the phone or dealing with people's problems.
    --> --> --> --> --> -->