Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ideas For Shops

Yeah, that's the only good thing about the weak dollar - importing. I'd still rather have a strong dollar and get paid well for my ad revenue

I would rather it changed from weak to strong on a month by month basis so everyone gets good money

Originally posted by Mike
    Yeah, I'm not too keen on how they cut the fur. I said it as a relative of mine inherited one, which she didn't want so decided to try and sell it off somewhere.
    Yeah, I have nothing against that. I mean, I do appreciate that fur coats feel absolutely great (not too keen on how they look). But to support the current industry is just ****. Many of the animals get skinned alive. It's not pretty. But I wont go in to it here As a meat eater, I used to think... well I effectively kill animals to eat, so what's wrong with killing them for clothing... Until my girlfriend had a go at me and made me look into it. I was kinda horrified at what goes on. Needless to say, I changed my attitude towards fur

I'm a vegan, so I know what they do... All animal products are evil... If you think eggs and milk don't harm the animals your so wrong... 99% of male chickens are killed at birth, on most large farms by being put into large boxes, piled on top of eachother, then closing it without oxygen... After cows have given there milk most don't have enough for there young, and therefore they die, I don't have anything against meat eaters, thats there choice, but I do have something against all these large scale agricultural methods that are evil beyond the word.

I saw this thing on TV last night about how they fatten up chickens so they weigh what would be their normal weight at 18 months, at 6 months instead. They couldn't support their own weight so were dragging themselves along instead of walking and so they were getting burn marks on the skin from their urine. Nice (!)

... getting way off topic here. Back to my guitar strings idea... worth perusing or not? I would think, not? Guess it depends how cheaply I can buy them for.

I was thinking guitars, but I don't think there is much profit on them. I was then thinking exercise equipment.

Exercise equipment is too heavy to ship in most cases. There is probably also health and safety stuff to think about.

I thought about doing guitars too, but they would be very expensive to purchase in the first place. £100 - £2000 a piece. Though, imported from USA, Tiwan, or Mexico it may be very profitable to sell here in the UK. I could sell them for less, because I wouldn't have the overhead of a normal shop. Again, shipping would be expensive because they're very delicate and there would probably be a fair few returns because they don't "sound" right or something silly like that.

How about accessory guitar kit, like stomp boxes etc?

They range from about £40 to about £400 I think (a few years since I played )... Guess thats about $80-$800 with the dollar as it is... And they are fairly small and light.

Some competition? They sell lots of other stuff like the stomp boxes too..
    Last edited by r2d2; 02-20-2004 at 04:47 PM.

Yeah, I thought about doing the whole "guitar accessories" thing. It would provide good scope to expand into more expensive lines if things went well. However, music shops are so accessible in the UK. I would have to beat them on price alone I think, which may be possible. I am looking at products in the £50 to £500 bracket. I think that will make each sale worth while. I don't want to be chasing "small" sales all the time.

The other thing is, I can't afford to offer a large range of different brands / products. Also electronic equipment like that becomes obsolete pretty fast as soon as the "next model up" is released. Chris's swords for example don't become obsolete (as far as I know!) That could really burn me if I'm not careful. It all sounds a bit risky.

Originally posted by incka
    I'm a vegan, so I know what they do... All animal products are evil... If you think eggs and milk don't harm the animals your so wrong... 99% of male chickens are killed at birth, on most large farms by being put into large boxes, piled on top of eachother, then closing it without oxygen... After cows have given there milk most don't have enough for there young, and therefore they die, I don't have anything against meat eaters, thats there choice, but I do have something against all these large scale agricultural methods that are evil beyond the word.
    Most calves don't die, they're money a farmer isn't going to let them die. They are fed formula. They have these huge baby bottles they use.

I can understand people not liking fur, but anti-leather people puzzle me. Its not like the animal is dying just for it's fur. A cow is killed for food first and it's skin second. So wear all the coats and shoes you want. Even if you didn't wear leather the cow would still die because people like their steaks.
    Chris Beasley - My Guide to Building a Successful Website[size=1]
    Content Sites: ABCDFGHIJKLMNOP|Forums: ABCD EF|Ecommerce: Swords Knives

Originally posted by Chris
    I can understand people not liking fur, but anti-leather people puzzle me. Its not like the animal is dying just for it's fur. A cow is killed for food first and it's skin second. So wear all the coats and shoes you want. Even if you didn't wear leather the cow would still die because people like their steaks.
    Yep, if an animal's going to be killed for meat then I say use everything of it possible. If I buy some meat and it goes off before I use it meaning I have to bin it, I hate it. It's such a waste of a life. I don't eat Veal or battery farmed chicken because the way they're kept is terrible.