Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wikipedia #1 for "seo"

Registered
    I'm not sure that Wikipedia ranking #1 for SEO is due to any significant recent changes on the Google algorithm, I would think that its simply due to it being linked too with good anchor text more and more over time. I don't watch this SERP closely but I would guess that Wikipedia made a gradual climb and didn't suddenly jump to #1 out of nowhere, which might suggest it was due to a change by Google.

Also, this brings up the point of what should the top result for SEO be? Its not a question that has a correct answer as different people are looking for different things. Most people experienced in SEO such as most of us here wouldn't find the Wikipedia page useful, but to a beginner with no idea what it is, Wikipedia could provide a good unbiased definition of what it is.

Basically it is impossible for any set of results to be right for every person, which leads into personalized search which is a whole other topic...
    ________
    EXTREME Q VAPORIZERS
    Last edited by rpanella; 03-17-2011 at 10:31 AM.

Registered
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    The thing about Wikipedia is it is very very very well cross linked internally with targetted anchor text. Almost every instance of the word SEO or Search Engine Optimization in their entire database is a link pointing to that page.
    If I setup my site so that any case of the word "kickflip" points to my kickflip tutorial, that should help with my ranking for that term (it's not a very competitive term)? I don't have thousands of instances of the word, but there could be dozens or a couple hundred.

Definitely, you can refer to such a process as automated anotation. I do it on my literature site where author biographies are automatically scanned and any references to other authors are turned into links if that author is also on my site.
    Chris Beasley - My Guide to Building a Successful Website[size=1]
    Content Sites: ABCDFGHIJKLMNOP|Forums: ABCD EF|Ecommerce: Swords Knives

Chronic Entrepreneur
    Quote Originally Posted by Selkirk View Post
    Wikipedia is the new DMOZ...
    Looks like things at Wikipedia are already starting to trend towards a DMOZ way of doing things: http://parkerpeters.livejournal.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Westech View Post
    Looks like things at Wikipedia are already starting to trend towards a DMOZ way of doing things: http://parkerpeters.livejournal.com/
    Lol...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Useravid_Gerard

This guy's picture begs for a psych profile.
    Kyle

The beginning of Selkirk's blog references a really log but moderatly interesting article about Wikipedia on the New Yorker's website and is the source of his blog title. The article can be found at: http://www.newyorker.com/fact/conten.../060731fa_fact
    Ken Barbalace - EnvironmentalChemistry.com (Environmental Careers, Blog)
    InternetSAR.org: Volunteers Assisting Search and Rescue via the Internet
    My Firefox Theme Classic Compact: Based onFirefox's classic theme but uses much less window space