Thread: You've got no sites online, but you have a few ideas for sites...

You've got no sites online, but you have a few ideas for sites...

What do you do? Do you work on one site and one site only until it's finished and then move onto the next? Or do you slowly work three or four different sites at a time?

I've got about 4 site ideas and it seems like I just keep juggling time between them all and it ends up that I seemingly get little or nothing done on any of them, so I'm thinking that I need to just work on one site until it's finished and then move to the next? Is this what you normally do or would suggest to someone getting started publishing sites?

I'd get that first one launched, out the door, and attracting link weight.
    Chris Beasley - My Guide to Building a Successful Website[size=1]
    Content Sites: ABCDFGHIJKLMNOP|Forums: ABCD EF|Ecommerce: Swords Knives

Registered
    Quote Originally Posted by deronsizemore View Post
    Do you work on one site and one site only until it's finished...
    I think you have to remove the word "finished" from your mind. Websites are never finished. Unlike a book, where every word has to be polished and perfect before you go to print, websites can grow and improve over time. Something is always better than nothing

With a new domain I usually start by setting up hosting, installing wordpress, and making a few posts about my plans for the site. That gets it indexed for the terms/language I will be using later. If I don't get around to developing it for a while I stop by occasionally and add another post.

I see mildly ill people. AmbulanceBlues's Avatar
    That's exactly the situation that I'm in. I've got a file filled with lists and ideas that I keep adding on to, but I haven't made much progress in actually publishing any single one. It's been really helpful to develop ideas fully, but I keep psyching myself out and thinking they won't work. Also, I just don't feel competent to do all of the coding that I need, but I don't want to half-a** it and put out something mediocre.

I keep thinking that it will get alot easier after I just get a couple of them going...
    --> --> --> --> --> -->

I used to work on a few sites at a time but found that it usually resulted in me not bothering to even launch some. It sometimes meant I rushed them, which also meant the quality was sometimes poor. Now I just work on a site at a time, which means I can solely focus on that and make sure it's up to a good standard.
    Last edited by Mike; 02-14-2007 at 09:49 AM.
    Don't you just love free internet games ?

I'd focus on 1 for now. It's much easier to pick up where you left off on 1 than 4. As you get more experienced you can always start dividing your time between multiple projects.

Quote Originally Posted by AmbulanceBlues View Post
    I've got a file filled with lists and ideas....
    I would just choose one and start developing it. It doesn't matter if it's not very successful, so long as you learn from it (and you will) and apply the knowledge.

Registered
    but I don't want to half-a** it and put out something mediocre.
    I'm not saying you should publish garbage, but I am certain conscientious publishers are frequently to harsh when judging the quality of their work. I have pages on some sites which are so bad they embarrass me, but they keep ranking in the SERP's and are still better than anyone else's.

I have been watching a thread on DP where a poster is selling his article re-writing script. It was up to 30-40 posts the last I saw, he had sold several, and all the buyers seem pleased with their results. Yet when I look at his example paragraph it seems obvious it's complete nonsense. In other words, what you consider half baked trash might have value.

Finally, I find that publishing incomplete material provides feedback which is helpful to improving the pages.

In the end I remind myself that it doesn't count until it's published

That's exactly the situation that I'm in. I've got a file filled with lists and ideas that I keep adding on to, but I haven't made much progress in actually publishing any single one. It's been really helpful to develop ideas fully, but I keep psyching myself out and thinking they won't work. Also, I just don't feel competent to do all of the coding that I need, but I don't want to half-a** it and put out something mediocre.

I keep thinking that it will get alot easier after I just get a couple of them going...
    lol...same boat I'm in right now. I have an excel document with about 50 or so domain ideas that I have, I own 13 or so domains that I have plans for, and am currently working on four sites and I have NONE ready to go live. lol.

I get really pumped up thinking about ideas and then I start thinking, do I have the knowledge I need to do a site like this? Or what if this or that happens...the site will fail, etc. I just need to do it, get it up and going and figure out later.

Quote Originally Posted by paul View Post
    I think you have to remove the word "finished" from your mind. Websites are never finished. Unlike a book, where every word has to be polished and perfect before you go to print, websites can grow and improve over time. Something is always better than nothing

With a new domain I usually start by setting up hosting, installing wordpress, and making a few posts about my plans for the site. That gets it indexed for the terms/language I will be using later. If I don't get around to developing it for a while I stop by occasionally and add another post.
    That's a good point. I never really thought of it that way even though it should be obvious. I've had this mindset that I need to get EVERYTHING up and going before launch when really I could maybe get the blog section up and going with a few articles while I'm working on the other section of the site or something like that. Everything doesn't need to be "finished" so to speak before launch. Thanks for your thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_s View Post
    I'd focus on 1 for now. It's much easier to pick up where you left off on 1 than 4. As you get more experienced you can always start dividing your time between multiple projects.
    Very true. I find myself in this situation sometimes. I'll work on one site exclusively for a week or so and then jump to another site for a while and then I come back to the first site and I'm like "Okay...now where was I?" Very counter productive.

Registered
    For the most part, one at a time. But, for example, if you have a designer/programmer working on one, and you're stuck waiting, it wouldn't be a bad idea to work on another project.

I would launch one and start bringing in traffic, then when you finish that one use it to cross promote your others. Thats just me as i like to finish one thing before i start the next.