Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Backup of projects

Registered

Backup of projects

Do you have outside your home backup of all your old, current and working on scripts & databases (projects)? and how often do you make a new backup...

I'm thinking of bank safety vault...

no, I don't, thanks for reminding me that I should.
    Chris Beasley - My Guide to Building a Successful Website[size=1]
    Content Sites: ABCDFGHIJKLMNOP|Forums: ABCD EF|Ecommerce: Swords Knives

Registered
    I have been considering trying this service http://www.carbonite.com/

It runs in the background and would make everything automatic.

Hey, Chris, didn't you recomend an external HD a while back, you press one button and it backups your whole hard drive? What are these called exactly and how much do they run?

Registered
    I don't either, and I really, really should. Gonna buy myself one of those external HDs, mybook looks cool: http://www.wdmybook.com/

Quote Originally Posted by michael_gersitz View Post
    Hey, Chris, didn't you recomend an external HD a while back, you press one button and it backups your whole hard drive? What are these called exactly and how much do they run?
    maxtor one touch, ya I have one of those... but no off-site backups (incase the house burns down ya know).

Yep. Once a week I fill DVD/RW and take it to my Moms (and get the old one to reuse for the next time). I'm eventually going to get some type of external source, probably something similar to the OneTouch. But my current process works for the time being.
    Shawn Kerr .com

Of course for my servers I have automated nightly database backups that get uploaded to a backup account at Ev1, then 5 days worth of db backups are stored on the servers themselves.

Chronic Entrepreneur
    My servers are automatically backed up daily.

I used to have a script setup to regularly backup the files on my PC and ftp them to an offsite backup server (I think I actually discussed the setup on this forum a long time ago.) The ftp setup seemed like a cool idea, but didn't work out too well once the size of my backup data got too large.

Now every month or so I just back up my PC onto dvd's and put them in a bank safe deposit box.

4x4
    I have two WD External HDs I backup to nightly, and my web servers backup themselves nightly too.

I use SmartSync Pro to do my local daily backups but it has options to FTP, E-Mail, Network Backup, etc. Eventually I'll be using it to FTP my local files to my server on a backup account. Someone else on here suggested SmartSync Pro and it's TRULY awesome backup software so many options and does EXACTLY what it syas it will.

I got Carbonite a while ago but I don't like how little control it gives you and also don't like sh aring my files on the same server as 100+ other ppl... big security risk IMHO. (It does work though.)
    -Todd

Registered
    Ok guys but realisticly what are the chances of your house burning down and your servers building burning down at the same time? I think having a backup at home serves as an offsite backup for your servers. Having multiples locally is OK but think about what scenarios you are preparing for.

- Server data center was destroyed. - No problem I've got backups at home!

- Accidentally wiped your pbulic_html directory - No problem I have local server backups.

- My home burns down - Well the sites are still up and I can download backups at any time.

Honestly, what else are you preparing for?

4x4
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeB View Post
    Ok guys but realisticly what are the chances of your house burning down and your servers building burning down at the same time? I think having a backup at home serves as an offsite backup for your servers. Having multiples locally is OK but think about what scenarios you are preparing for.

- Server data center was destroyed. - No problem I've got backups at home!

- Accidentally wiped your pbulic_html directory - No problem I have local server backups.

- My home burns down - Well the sites are still up and I can download backups at any time.

Honestly, what else are you preparing for?
    I don't know about you but I have a lot of important things on my local PC that don't involve a website. Just to name a few: e-mails, invoices, order history, family/etc photos, etc. etc. These need a remote as well as local back IMHO.

-Todd

Registered
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddW View Post
    I don't know about you but I have a lot of important things on my local PC that don't involve a website. Just to name a few: e-mails, invoices, order history, family/etc photos, etc. etc. These need a remote as well as local back IMHO.

-Todd
    Ah well that's different. if we're talking about exclusive web media and code that's one thing. Personal data storage is a different subject.

I can no longer look at your user title.

Thank you.

Well, I'm not going to store my Photoshop source files, Flash source files, and many other files that are involved with my sites that don't necessarily go online, on my server. There's plenty to backup aside from just the actual web files. I'd rather lose the web files than those files, else I have to recreate a lot of crap.
    Last edited by mobilebadboy; 01-20-2007 at 10:11 PM.
    Shawn Kerr .com

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    maxtor one touch, ya I have one of those... but no off-site backups (incase the house burns down ya know).
    Bought to go get me one of these on Monday!