Thread: Google Checkout

4x4

Arrow Google Checkout

In case anyone hasn't noticed Google is offering $0 Fees for Checkout until the end of 2007. I believe the limit is $5k a month for three consecutive months and then you have to talk to google. Their rates were not bad and with no monthly fees for a gateway or merchant account they will still be tough to beat.

Google is also offering the customer $10 rebate which is another great bonus.

MIVA5 just released the google checkout "update" and creating one-item purchases for a small site is simple. I'm not sure about OSC but would imagine if there's nothign yet there will be soon.

Check it out, maybe you'll save some money.

-Todd

Registered
    Thanks for the tip about the $10.

It seems to be a bit buggy though, at first when I clicked on signup a message appeared that they weren't accepting any more customers at this time. I refreshed and then I could sign up, however submitting the form showed the same message again. Refreshing again and all was well again.

Wow. That is a good deal. I took advantage of the $10 as a customer on a few sites.

So, correct me if I'm wrong--a customer needs to have a 'Google account' (or a Gmail) account in order to pay with Google Checkout, right?

Registered
    Yes, you need to have a google account. Btw, the $10 off only applies to your first checkout, so how can you take advantage of it multiple times?

I might try it. I've had Paypal for years and years though and no problems so I might just stay with what works.

Can you use Google CO like PP. Where I can do design work for a client and then bill and get paid via GC, or is it just for selling items via your website?

As far as I know, it's just for buying things on a website, hence the 'checkout' part of the name.

There's been speculation that Google will launch a PayPal killer called Gpay, but I haven't heard anything else about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Erin View Post
    As far as I know, it's just for buying things on a website, hence the 'checkout' part of the name.
    That's what I was thinking (and why I have not signed up).

There's been speculation that Google will launch a PayPal killer called Gpay, but I haven't heard anything else about that.
    Hopefully they do, not that I have had an real issues with PP, they are cool but if I can avoid fees and get a free $10

I didn't realize that. I just assumed it was similar to the way PayPal works. I've never really looked into it much though.

Registered
    They'll probably add that component later, I certainly hope so. Would be great competition for paypal/

4x4
    You could simply make 1 item for the work and have them click to pay you

You should probably read googles TOS as they may not allow "SERVICE" purchases only tangible goods.

In case anyone's wondering, here are some links:

It appears to be okay to use Google Checkout if you're selling services.

Quote Originally Posted by polspoel View Post
    Btw, the $10 off only applies to your first checkout, so how can you take advantage of it multiple times?
    Twice, each time for a week or two (IIRC) during the US shopping season, they had $10 off a $30+ purchase from various vendors. I bought from two or three vendors.

4x4
    Erin: Yep I re-read the terms and they say they prefer tangible only but services are ok. (Services are a lot harder to deal with in terms of fraud chargebacks, etc.)

I actually used checkout today for a couple thousand for services. So far so good! We'll see if google questions me about anything. I simply put the checkout on a 'hidden' page and sent the URL to the client.

I used Checkout a few days back for selling a website. I simply sent the buyer an invoice, he put in the credit card information, and in three days I had the cash in my bank account. He didn't have to set up an account, it was Google simple. The best part is that they are currently having a promotion where they aren't charging any fees. That's always nice when you're dealing with a few thousand dollars.

From my experience, it's far superior to PayPal. No wonder why eBay doesn't it allow it on their site!