Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hyphen domains?

Registered

Hyphen domains?

Hi,

Im developing a new site, one that i think it'll be the first one in it's class. And it'll become the center for information on this topic (hopefully).
    But of course all the domains i want are taken. I found a good one, but it has a hyphen: xxxx-xxxxx.com

I've read articles & discussions about this (including: http://www.websitepublisher.net/arti...g_domain_name/), but i want to hear what you think. Is sooo bad to use that domain? Should i really try to use one without hyphens? Can someone point me to some really sucessful sites with hyphens domains?

I guess im just looking for courage on going with the hyphen version
    Thanks!

Site Contributor
    Without hyphens. Please.

Hyphens are fine.
    John Conde :: brainyminds
    Merchant Account Services -- Merchant Services Resources
    IT'S HERE: Integrate the Authorize.net Payment Gateway with PHP
    Everything you need to integrate Authorize.net into your website with PHP. Includes an explanation of how transactions work, validating credit cards, and the source code for free.

I don't like more than 1 hyphen, but 1 hyphen is fine. My most popular sites are hyphenated.

It probably does make it harder to brand or spread via word of mouth, but if those 2 things are not your goal then you're better off with a more SE friendly URL anyways.
    Chris Beasley - My Guide to Building a Successful Website[size=1]
    Content Sites: ABCDFGHIJKLMNOP|Forums: ABCD EF|Ecommerce: Swords Knives

If you're banking on return visitors then I would try and find an un-hyphenated domain. But aside from that, personally I don't think it matters all that much. I have successful sites that use hyphens. However, I wouldn't recommend more than one hyphen in a domain.

You've only got one hyphen, so your domain should be fine.

But if the unhyphenated version of the domain is already an active site, then I would look for a completely different name.
    If it looks good, then just go with the hyphen.

Registered
    I was thinking the same thing as chromate - check first to see what is on the name with no hyphen - reason being you don't want your traffic going there all the time when you have worked so hard to promote your site.

Otherwise, I think a hyphen is fine, too - I have a bunch myself

Registered
    Quote Originally Posted by chromate View Post
    If you're banking on return visitors then I would try and find an un-hyphenated domain. But aside from that, personally I don't think it matters all that much. I have successful sites that use hyphens. However, I wouldn't recommend more than one hyphen in a domain.

You've only got one hyphen, so your domain should be fine.

But if the unhyphenated version of the domain is already an active site, then I would look for a completely different name.
    If it looks good, then just go with the hyphen.
    What he said.

John

Registered
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    I don't like more than 1 hyphen, ...
    Other than looking spammy to webmasters is there any other reason for that? I'm not convinced "civilians" coming via search even notice the domain.

Registered
    Thanks for the help guys. To summarize: everyone except Shawn think that 1 hyphen in the domain is fine.

The domain with no hyphen is not an active domain, it's not even parked. Im trying to contact the owner.

Thanks Chris, knowing that some of yours sites (like the literature one) have hyphens helps a lot.

I think i'll go with the hyphen one, because if i keep looking for the perfect domain it may take me forever to launch the site.

Quote Originally Posted by paul View Post
    Other than looking spammy to webmasters is there any other reason for that? I'm not convinced "civilians" coming via search even notice the domain.
    Users coming direct from search engines probably don't notice at all. And it can help with search engine rankings if people link directly to you using the domain.

However, if you want to turn those visitors into repeat visitors (not always the case) then domains with more than 1 hyphen probably makes that harder.

I do think it makes getting links harder too purely because multi-hyphen domains are synonymous with spam. A domain with 2 or 3 hyphens in it immediately puts the red flags up with a webmaster, before even looking at the site - rightly or wrongly.

Junior Registered
    Brandable is something to consider... if your ambition is to be a leader on the chosen topic or to try your best anyway and give it an honest go then a domain name with no hyphens, fairly short, catchy and easy to remember and type is a good idea.

For example, though you did not mention multiple sites, consider some silly word you like or an idea or concept and integrate it with your keyword or use it as your theme for a network of sites.

silly.com -your network/hub or hobby site
    -sillygames.com
    -sillyhealth.com
    -sillyblogs.com
    -sillyconfessions.com
    -sillywallpapers.com
    -sillytutorials.com
    Last edited by mondala; 01-17-2007 at 03:49 PM.

Registered
    Thanks, that's not a bad idea, i'll consider it. But i like more the idea of having one site with all those topics on it.

I mentioned before that i think this can be a good site and hopefully it'll become the main site for info on this topic, and that's why im worrying about the Hyphen. If it was another site, a wouldn't worry to much.

Another posible solution would be go without hyphens but adding a new keyword to the domain, like: word1Word2Word3.com instead of word1-word2.com

Registered
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    ...But i like more the idea of having one site with all those topics on it.
    Why? As I interpret the longtail writings and growth of the web, the idea of multiple, extremely targeted, sites seems attractive.

As I have been planning additions to my largest site ( only a couple hundred pages) I realized I was spending a lot of effort thinking of how to fit the new material into the existing navigation. Since most of my visitors arrive via a very specific search the heirarchy is wasted on them. I find I can spend more time writing content if I build tiny new niche sites and link to them. It also allows me to try new themes etc. without disturbing the larger site.

Assuming the topics are related, promotion wise it is better to have them all on 1 site. The reason is that when a large established site launches new content you get it ranked well in search engines quicker than if it were a new site.
    Chris Beasley - My Guide to Building a Successful Website[size=1]
    Content Sites: ABCDFGHIJKLMNOP|Forums: ABCD EF|Ecommerce: Swords Knives

Registered
    Go with the hyphen if you have to but I'd try contacting the owner of the name you want to see if you can buy it for a reasonable price first.