Thread: Burst Media for Television Website - Good Idea?

Junior Registered

Burst Media for Television Website - Good Idea?

I am in charge of online advertising for www.keloland.com, the website for KELO TV in Sioux Falls, SD. We currently sell most of our online inventory directly to local and national advertisers, but I would like to try to incorporate some CPC or CPM advertising as well. I am thinking of placing a 468 x 60 below-the-scroll unit in our "featured links" area, which appears at the bottom of almost everypage. If I do something like this, it will probably get about 12,000,000 impressions a month. Is Burst Media a wise option for this? I know they are one of the few providers that allow below the scroll ads.

For some reason, management is against this sort of thing (our GM hates Google), but I think it would be a profitable venture. Does anyone know how much revenue an ad like this could generate?

If this type of thing works, I would like to do the same thing with 728 x 90 banners above the fold. Should I use Burst Media for this as well? I was originally thinking of using Tribal Fusion for all of this, until I found out that they only allow above-the-fold advertising.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Based on my personal dealing with a local news station I cannot imagine you'd earn more with general audience CPM or CPC ads as opposed to what you can scrounge up with local ads.

Also, Burst does technically allow below the scroll ads, but they're bad and pay horrible. They also are almost always annoying/flashing types.

Honestly, tell your manager that allowing a personal dislike to cost your company money is stupid, and sign up for Adsense. It is the best solution (unless you can get in YPN's beta).
    Chris Beasley - My Guide to Building a Successful Website[size=1]
    Content Sites: ABCDFGHIJKLMNOP|Forums: ABCD EF|Ecommerce: Swords Knives

I don't know why you'd rather have large flashy banner ads running apposed to something like well blended/less intrusive text ads (adsense/ypn)

Junior Registered
    Thanks guys, well blended Adsense ads would be a great idea. I think part of the problem with management is that they might not understand what Adsense ads actually are. I guess it's my job to show them.

What do you think I should do for the 728 x 90 banner ads at the top of the pages? I know I could make more with local advertisers, but the ones that I usually get for our less-trafficked pages often pull out quickly due to lack of results, then I'm out there trying to find another advertiser to pay $25 a week for a 728 x 90 banner that gets 20,000 impressions a month. If I could find a solution for these areas, I could concentrate on other money making web ventures.

Thanks again for the feedback, this is a great forum for people like me!

Well, if you could get accepted, Burst or Tribal Fusion would be my first choices.
    Chris Beasley - My Guide to Building a Successful Website[size=1]
    Content Sites: ABCDFGHIJKLMNOP|Forums: ABCD EF|Ecommerce: Swords Knives