Thread: Photoshop and RAM

Registered

Photoshop and RAM

Can photoshop running on a windows XP Pro system effectively use more than 2 gigs of memory? I see references to only partial use of the second 2 gigs.

Thanks,
    Paul

I can't imagine why you would want to allow Photoshop to use two gigs of memory. If you have that much RAM, my advice would be only allow Photoshop to use a portion of that memory. I personally don't let Photoshop to have much more than 600-700 mb of the 1.5 gigs of RAM I have.
    Ken Barbalace - EnvironmentalChemistry.com (Environmental Careers, Blog)
    InternetSAR.org: Volunteers Assisting Search and Rescue via the Internet
    My Firefox Theme Classic Compact: Based onFirefox's classic theme but uses much less window space

Registered
    It may be due to the size and resolution of the image that more RAM is needed. But, I don't think that use of 2 gigs of memory is not an everytime requirement or maybe he is working on such projects.
    Thanks,
    Shop and Save with FREE App My Shopping Genie Review | Make Money with My Shopping Genie Home Business

Junior Registered
    Well I had made a poster for a company on A2 size and while working on it, it took nearly 3 gigs of memory))) Try CS3, it's more economical.

Registered
    I have also noticed that Photoshop CS uses much memory for operations. It takes much time to load, and after doing some operations, it is really slow. Can anyone sort the problem?
    Thanks,
    Shop and Save with FREE App My Shopping Genie Review | Make Money with My Shopping Genie Home Business

Overlord of the World morphedparadox's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by shyampc View Post
    I have also noticed that Photoshop CS uses much memory for operations. It takes much time to load, and after doing some operations, it is really slow. Can anyone sort the problem?
    Use Teh GIMP .

Nar, seriously, photoshop needs all that ram to store its bundles of awesomeness. Think of it like trying to keep Chuck Norris in a pizza box