Thread: Focus

Registered

Focus

I've been finding lately that anytime I come up with a good idea several others are right on its tail. I have so many project ideas that it would take several years to complete them all. I don't know where to start.

How do you weigh out your ideas to pick the best ones, and how do you stay focused when partway through a project another excellent idea pops up?

Sometimes you have to just put ones aside for the time being.

Lately though I've just been contracting more and more out, if I have an idea I do not have time to build, I hire someone to do it.
    Chris Beasley - My Guide to Building a Successful Website[size=1]
    Content Sites: ABCDFGHIJKLMNOP|Forums: ABCD EF|Ecommerce: Swords Knives

Whichever project you are working on... finish it, or finish it up to a point where you can comfortably go back and pick it up again.

Any other ideas should be noted down - I use a notebook and pen. Sometimes ideas which seemed good at the time - are not actually that good when you give them more thought. (well thats the case for me anyway )

When its time to start a new project... look through the notebook and choose one which you like at that time, or one which you know will be a nice little earner - work on that and finish it - try not to leave ends untied.

I find it really hard to live to that philosophy - but it does work if you can.

Even though by budget isn't in the same league as Chris' - I too have outsourced work - it does make a difference.

BTW - I have around 15 completed notebooks... not enough minutes in the hour, hours in the day... bla bla bla
    I Do Website Design - but I am here to learn all about publishing

I see mildly ill people. AmbulanceBlues's Avatar
    I recently installed dotproject so I could write down, prioritize, and archive my ideas from anywhere. I find it to be much better than having a million folded up sheets of paper with stuff scribbled on them.
    --> --> --> --> --> -->

Chris how much of your time do you actually spend exchanging links nowadays ? Ive manage to really changed the ways i develop sites and as chris says sometimes u gotta just stick to one. I use a method i call risk vs reward that i learned from poker . I basically look at all my projects and i measure the roi as well as the return on time invested. Some sites are long term earners and some are short terms. Depending on my goals and types of sites i have i analyze each one and make a plan of attack to carry it out. So far ive been more productive than i ever been but the problem im having now is promoting the sites. I finding building pr and getting backlinks one of the toughest things.

I've never spent much time exchanging links, I can count the number of link exchanges I've done on one hand.

For building one way links, I do not do much, a few hours for each new site, then I just let them go. The thing is I don't like link exchanges and it is difficult to get 1 way links now that everyone knows about PageRank.
    Chris Beasley - My Guide to Building a Successful Website[size=1]
    Content Sites: ABCDFGHIJKLMNOP|Forums: ABCD EF|Ecommerce: Swords Knives