Thread: Is it even worth developing a game site?

Is it even worth developing a game site?

I bought a domain game domain over a year ago and had intentions of developing it into a small game site, nothing really major, but I'm wondering if it's even worth the effort? I mean, chances are the bandwidth cost would be higher because of people playing the games (supposing that anyone even visited the site) and there are already so many other game sites out there, it would be kinda hard to develop something to stand out from the crowd.

Any thoughts on this?

Your negative motivation should be reason enough not to start one. Even though it is saturated, there is still a lot of money to be made. To stand out requires new ideas and new ways of presenting the same games that appear everywhere. Coming up with new ideas requires a positive state of mind.

It is extremely hard to get into now. You need a memorable .com, not something like free-online-games.biz. So many names are already taken.. like everyanimalgames.com is already registered. You need a flawless design with a simple yet fun layout.

Or, if you have a large budget, developing original games can always work.
    Kyle

I think there is money in interative web gaming, I don't know if those small common flash game sites are the way to go though.
    Chris Beasley - My Guide to Building a Successful Website[size=1]
    Content Sites: ABCDFGHIJKLMNOP|Forums: ABCD EF|Ecommerce: Swords Knives

Quote Originally Posted by Chris
    I think there is money in interative web gaming, I don't know if those small common flash game sites are the way to go though.
    Did you ever do anything about that online game you spoke about developing on here ages ago Chris?

For every chemical you trade a piece of your soul

Yes, it has been in development for ages. I've had trouble finding a reliable developer for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle
    Your negative motivation should be reason enough not to start one. Even though it is saturated, there is still a lot of money to be made. To stand out requires new ideas and new ways of presenting the same games that appear everywhere. Coming up with new ideas requires a positive state of mind.

It is extremely hard to get into now. You need a memorable .com, not something like free-online-games.biz. So many names are already taken.. like everyanimalgames.com is already registered. You need a flawless design with a simple yet fun layout.

Or, if you have a large budget, developing original games can always work.

I'm completely motivated to develop it or else I wouldn't have bought the domain name. I just didn't know if it would be worth it? I mean, it doesn't really matter how much positive motivation I have to develop it if there is a 99 % chance it's going to fail. If it's not worth it, then I'm going to lose my motivation and put it to something else. You said it's extremely hard to get into now...so I think that about sums up what I was asking.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris
    Yes, it has been in development for ages. I've had trouble finding a reliable developer for it.
    How long until it will be finished?
    Don't you just love free internet games ?

80 bajillion years....

No idea.