Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Being a organized webmaster !! Submit your tips

Being a organized webmaster !! Submit your tips

I feel that just am never organized enough to be real efficient at what i do. Any tips ? Things u do to make things run more smooth ?

4x4
    I spend money to become organized.

1- Quickbooks (waiting for `07 version in a couple days myself)
    2- Shredder - Get rid of that old **** you have sitting around safely. I suggest cross-cut or confetti
    3- Write lil php/mysql programs to keep track of advertisement campaigns or *gasp* you can use access to keep it all 100% local.
    4- Clean your desk.
    5- Keep a notepad around and always write-down! This will help you from forgetting. I love the PC for everything but I also LOVE to write notes on stick-its, yellow notepads
    6- Categorize/organize your My Documents folder order documents in them for business/different sites/categorize.
    7- Categorize your MSOutlook I have some folders called.. "writeoffs##YEAR, advertising, campaigns, etc etc"
    8- Add "NOTES" to your google homepage it lets you add a note to your homepage to remind yourself of important tasks... i also leave myself notes from other pcs

ill think of more

If you want to achieve things in a certain day, write down your goals on paper. It gives me satisfaction ticking everything I've done in a day for some reason, but it does encourage more efficiency.
    Don't you just love free internet games ?

I hate quickbooks. I tried to use it but it wanted me to use it for everything, very bloated & insidious. Plus it has that DRM that can break your PC.
    Chris Beasley - My Guide to Building a Successful Website[size=1]
    Content Sites: ABCDFGHIJKLMNOP|Forums: ABCD EF|Ecommerce: Swords Knives

Quote Originally Posted by ToddW
    2- Shredder - Get rid of that old **** you have sitting around safely. I suggest cross-cut or confetti
    You can achieve better results by burning it. You are also saving $$ as it doesn't require initial investment
    Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it

I cleaned out and reorganized my folders yesterday. So now i have around 3 icons on my desktop and its definately running faster.

I tried quick and supposely that is suppose to be real easy.. I have a hard time managing finances as well. I really need to get something order to manage my income every month and its not much just from alot of companies which confuses me to death.

Gmail has at least made email management alot easier..!!! they sure own..

Quote Originally Posted by Chris
    I hate quickbooks. I tried to use it but it wanted me to use it for everything, very bloated & insidious. Plus it has that DRM that can break your PC.
    Quickbooks is bloated? How are you managing your books?

I don't have accounts receivables or clients, so that simplifies things.

I have a custom php/mysql app for managing expenses, I have spreedsheets for income and logging tax payments and the like.

What I recall from trying to use Quickbooks, and this was like 4 years ago, was that when trying to enter an expense it wanted me to enter a payment too. Like it wasn't enough for me to just make an expense report it needed me to use it to print out a business check... right.... I paid with a credit card.Oh ya... and before even that I needed to setup who I was paying too, like I needed to make an account in it for office max.

It just wouldn't let me just use it to keep track of income and expenses, it wanted to run my entire business, and it isn't worth the trouble for that.

4x4
    As far as I know you can do what you want with QB now easily. I played around with 2005 and setup advertising campaigns/epxenses for each domain... I then lost motivation and stopped using it. Nowdays I write-off a LOT more and need to keep track of all my purchases and expenses (designers, programmers, advertising, vehicle stuf, etc).

Chris I thought you sold swords? Don't you have to keep track of that stuff? I would think QB would be great for that simply import from your eComerce software?

Keep track of it how? Its really not that difficult, I buy them with a business credit card, and get cc processing statements in the mail.

Chronic Entrepreneur
    I got frustrated with QB when I tried it for the same reasons as Chris. I may give it another shot at some point. Right now I'm just using an MS Access database to track all income and expenses. It's not overly complicated and it does everything I need. At tax time it's just a matter of printing out a few reports and handing them to an accountant.

Getting through the learning curve of quickbooks (or whatever) is usually worthwhile is that it's a way of empowering your CPA to push your tax strategy as far as possible.. I've worked with a lot of small businesses and almost all of them regret not using a formal bookkeeping system,once they get into it.

Buy Notepads.

Don't save every file to your desktop and be a dummy searching vital minutes for files. Use Folders.

Website Developer
    Well, since this thread got bumped: automate everything. You should be spending your time on growth and doing new deals.
    Make more money - Read my Web Publishing Blog

I didn't even notice i was the one who bumped it

I didn't even notice i was the one who bumped it.

Well, i thought more about this thread over last night and decided to upgrade my room/office.

Check out my new office pics.. I would think they are more impressive now...

Aight, Attachments aint working to good on this site..

Uploaded it on pixfolder

http://www.pixfolder.com/images/7360.jpg

Just bought the whiteboard for better organization...