Thread: voip services?

Chronic Entrepreneur

voip services?

Are any of you using a voip service like Skype or Vonage? I'm looking for a service that will give me free unlimited calling within the US and free or at least cheap calling to other countries, especially Europe. I have to be able to call "real" phones with it, so using a mic with Messenger or Google voice isn't an option.

Any recommendations?

I use vonage, I'm fine with it, but I don't use the phone enough to give a really good opinion. Call quality isn't that great, like a cell phone. I mostly just got it for the free fax line.
    Chris Beasley - My Guide to Building a Successful Website[size=1]
    Content Sites: ABCDFGHIJKLMNOP|Forums: ABCD EF|Ecommerce: Swords Knives

Registered
    I've been using Skype for a few months and have been happy with it (It won't be free to call within the US after the end of the year, though, but it will be $0.02/min so still cheap). I only use it for long distance. Quality has been fine. The only times I've noticed any lag or distortion in the soudn quality is when I'm using it to chat with other Skype users and not making an actual phone call.

I've been using Skype for around a year now - calling UK USA and Aus - but only to other Skype users (which is free). I had a Skype phone - but didn't like one of my hands being tied up - so now have one of those call center headphone and mic things - great, hands free mean I can make changes whilst I have the client on the phone. I really like the IM option aswell for quick fixes.

I haven't gone for the paying to call normal phones, or the option of having a local number for people to call you on - but they sent me an email recently with a list of new charges - they looked very reasonable ($10 - $20 per month) - but I may in the future.

Overall I love it - but I haven't tried any others
    I Do Website Design - but I am here to learn all about publishing

Chronic Entrepreneur
    Thanks for the info! Could each of you comment on how the call quality is to "real" phones, especially intercontinental (if applicable) and what ISP you're using?

For me its hard to tell - my Skype phone only cost $10 dollars on ebay and my headphone/mic set was $15 from the local electronic store - the quality of these may well have something to do with that + my normal phone cost $250

But nationally - there is hardly (if any at all) difference at all - you may get a little bit of background noise - but not enough to annoy - clear as a bell.

Internationally most of the time it is fine - you sometimes get a really bad line - which is normall solved by hanging up and calling again. Also you may get an occasional slurred word (quite funny) and an echo - I think this is to do with the information getting through the network - again both solved by calling again.

Occasionally though - when calling London - there are certain times of the day when it is bad... I think this is something to do with the amount of people online - I'm not certain though.

I am using an Aussie ISP called Internode with a 512/256 connection.
    I Do Website Design - but I am here to learn all about publishing

4x4
    I have Vonage but just forward it to my other local #. I got it and used it then stopped.. I even paid for a # for a year. I guess the novelty is gone for me. If I was doing a LOT of all-over the USA calling I would use it.

I pay $9.95 a month from RapidFax now to use the fax services and my cell has almost 1400 anytime minutes so those keep me going right now

BUT

Vonage was chrystal clear for me and no one could tell.

Lingo has been known to offer the cheapest International rates, and a load of features.

I am not sure the line quality is as good as Vonage, though.

Website Developer
    I've had Vonage for a few years. No complaints about call quality; definately better than my cell.

I'll probably keep Vonage indefinately because only about 1% of the people/companies I do business with need my cellphone number.
    Make more money - Read my Web Publishing Blog