Thread: E-Mail Spam Thing...

4x4

E-Mail Spam Thing...

So I forget the name of the software or site that requires a user to REPLY to an e-mail before their e-mail gets delivered to you to verify 100% (or atleast darn close) that it's not spam...

Anyone know?
    -Todd

I see mildly ill people. AmbulanceBlues's Avatar
    I had to do that yesterday e-mailing my Aunt's earthlink account. I sent her an e-mail for the first time, and earthlink sent me a reply with a link wherein I had to put in my name and why I was mailing her before she would reply. It was kind of perturbing -- but effective, I guess.
    --> --> --> --> --> -->

4x4
    Quote Originally Posted by AmbulanceBlues
    I had to do that yesterday e-mailing my Aunt's earthlink account. I sent her an e-mail for the first time, and earthlink sent me a reply with a link wherein I had to put in my name and why I was mailing her before she would reply. It was kind of perturbing -- but effective, I guess.
    I did some more research and the process doesn't really work that well because most spammers use a faulty/bad/good/fake reply... so you are essentialy then sending random e-mails to the reply address.. If you get 500+ spams a day that could be a LOT of e-mails to random people who have their email used as the reply by the spammer

Quote Originally Posted by ToddW
    that could be a LOT of e-mails to random people who have their email used as the reply by the spammer
    yep, my inbox has been getting hammered by that recently. i have a catchall set up on one of my sites that's been inundated by that. i'm going to have to remove the catchall...

These validate your message methods really have one major flaw. They don't account for legitimate but automated message processes (e.g. forum registrations). A better way to handle spam is to initially bounce a message from an unknown mail server via a faux server error. Almost all legitimate mail servers will try to resend the message later. Spammer's use a fire and forget method so their servers almost never listen for server error message and thus don't try to resend a message. When my web host implemented the false server error routine, my the amount of spam I saw that still needed to be filtered fell by 70% or more.
    Ken Barbalace - EnvironmentalChemistry.com (Environmental Careers, Blog)
    InternetSAR.org: Volunteers Assisting Search and Rescue via the Internet
    My Firefox Theme Classic Compact: Based onFirefox's classic theme but uses much less window space

4x4
    I only get about 1-5 spams in my inbox per-day.

The rest the spambox catches on my server, and outlook handles the others that slip through.