Thread: Got a new toy

4x4

Got a new toy

Went out to verizon and got me a new toy. This bad boy!

Unlimited Internet
    Tethering to Laptop

I tested when I got home 19KB/s download and 10KB/s upload... not their broadband highspeed wireless card but not having to pay another $40 a month and having it with me all the time is a great plus

I hope one day that highspeed will be available through the phone.

Has anyone else recently gotten a new smart phone or any toher cool gadgets?

That's the Moto Q right? Any problems yet? I heard it was quite buggy....

I'd like to get the new Blackberry Pearl with T-Mobile, but not sure I want to shell out that kind of cash.

Chronic Entrepreneur
    Nice! It looks like it's running Windows Mobile 5, right? Have you tried setting up any imap email accounts through the built in email program? I've tried and either I have no idea what I'm doing or Windows Mobile imap support is crap. I like everything else about it, but the imap issue is almost enough for me to go back to Palm or check out Blackberry.

P.S. Check out www.bloglines.com . It's great for reading rss feeds through your mobile web browser.

4x4
    Thanks! I was looking for blog stuff for it.

I have setup POP e-mail... took about 3 seconds and works great I've sent and received pictures from it no problems.

I just setup a new e-mail guarnateed with NO SPAM an forward it to my Q and desktop. I won't use it a LOT for e-mail, emergancy and server monitor mostly and tethering. Well and reading blogs when I'm in line or bored! LOL No bugs yet. I think people leave al ot of apps running and forget to close.

Chronic Entrepreneur
    POP3 works well on mine too, but IMAP is pitiful, which stinks since all of my accounts are IMAP.

One tip on the server monitoring: I have all of my monitoring alerts set to go to my phone as text messages rather than emails. This makes them show instantly instead of only after the next scheduled email check, and also eliminates the possibility of not getting a notification if your email server is the one having problems.

Most phone providers have an email address you can use to forward to a text message. It's usually something like <your_number>@provider.com .

4x4
    Quote Originally Posted by Westech
    POP3 works well on mine too, but IMAP is pitiful, which stinks since all of my accounts are IMAP.

One tip on the server monitoring: I have all of my monitoring alerts set to go to my phone as text messages rather than emails. This makes them show instantly instead of only after the next scheduled email check, and also eliminates the possibility of not getting a notification if your email server is the one having problems.

Most phone providers have an email address you can use to forward to a text message. It's usually something like <your_number>@provider.com .
    Yeah, I have them do that too I recently took off monitoring of one because it would load spike to 40 then drop 5 seconds later and was pissing me off sending me 30 texts a day 1 for load 1 for recovery! LOL.

I tweaked my site php/mysql and the servers httpd conf file and it only does it once or twice now.. so that's great I'll be tweaking even more and HOPEFULY get GEO-Targeting/Blocking implemented and totaly loose the load from CHINA/Etc. Etc.

Anyway, so far I like the phone, what I don't like is having to pay my Cingular bill until Dec. I got a temp. phone # so I can just transfer my old one when that contract is up. Neede the phone for traveling and meetings with clients

ANyway, I'm looking for a good IM application too because I can have the server notify me that way as well as not use-up msgs when msging other ppls phones through AIM. IM+ is $30 :/ Grrr!

Chronic Entrepreneur
    IM notification is an interesting idea. I'll have to look into that. I'm not sure how well it would work because my phone drops the internet connection when it's idle. Text messages get instant notification and you can set it to connect and check for email every 10 or 15 minutes, but I don't think it would give instant IM notification when the connection was idle. That's the way my provider (Cingular) works anyway.

4x4
    Quote Originally Posted by Westech
    IM notification is an interesting idea. I'll have to look into that. I'm not sure how well it would work because my phone drops the internet connection when it's idle. Text messages get instant notification and you can set it to connect and check for email every 10 or 15 minutes, but I don't think it would give instant IM notification when the connection was idle. That's the way my provider (Cingular) works anyway.
    Makes sense.

TXT msg is instant and that's the best

Business service plans are pricey esp. when you start adding insurance and txt msging plans ontop of the unlimited data plans and tethering!!