Thread: PHPBB...Kinda worried about Being Hacked

PHPBB...Kinda worried about Being Hacked

For all you phpbb messageboard owners, how do you keep yourself from being hacked? My current budget doesnt allow me to get VB and since now invinsion is the same price as VB thats out of the picture.

When a new update happens, apply it immediately. That's been enough for me for a long time.

Certainly, but you're right to be worried. I've never had a vbulletin board hacked, but every phpbb I've ever run was hacked at one time or another.
    Chris Beasley - My Guide to Building a Successful Website[size=1]
    Content Sites: ABCDFGHIJKLMNOP|Forums: ABCD EF|Ecommerce: Swords Knives

Quote Originally Posted by aeroguy
    For all you phpbb messageboard owners, how do you keep yourself from being hacked? My current budget doesnt allow me to get VB and since now invinsion is the same price as VB thats out of the picture.

If you like VB but don't want to pay for the license, try www.mybboard.com. I'm setting up a forum with it now and it seems promising.

Gimme Fries with that!
    yeah dont use phpbb. Period! I got hacked on every site I used it on. I now use Punbb and can not praise it enough. I am building a completely custom CMS with it for www.ultimate-fighter.ca It is a great board that you can mod very very easily if your a programmer.

Quote Originally Posted by Emancipator
    yeah dont use phpbb. Period! I got hacked on every site I used it on. I now use Punbb and can not praise it enough. I am building a completely custom CMS with it for www.ultimate-fighter.ca It is a great board that you can mod very very easily if your a programmer.

Agree. I tried PunBB, but since I'm not a programmer I was struggling to customize most everything with it. It is every good though.

Gimme Fries with that!
    if you are into php programming punbb really has limitless potential. Its designed modular so you can add to it without the headaches you get with vbulletin or phpbb.

Registered
    Quote Originally Posted by aeroguy
    Best advise here, if you are doing updates or even if you make your phpBB with solid granite, the possibility of being hacked is still there, then it is possible for VB too.

Invest some time in making sure you have a stream of working accounts backups and test that they are easily recoverable. That way if you are hacked you just revert and go from there. The best offense is a good defense with phpBB.
    WEBster Computing Services - webcs.com
    Linux and Windows shared hosting | DEDICATED server hosting
    One of the oldest hosts on the planet
    Since 1996............just ask us