Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whats it worth?

Whats it worth?

Hey guys, what do you think throwing-knives.net is worth, I got someone interested, someone with a large budget I know. They want me to name a price.
    Chris Beasley - My Guide to Building a Successful Website[size=1]
    Content Sites: ABCDFGHIJKLMNOP|Forums: ABCD EF|Ecommerce: Swords Knives

I know next to nothing about the whole domain selling scene but "start high as you can always go lower" seems like a good plan.
    New website released. ya rly!

Gimme Fries with that!
    haha im like andy and know nothing but that plan sounds good

Registered
    Do you have a place to put the money with a higher rate of return than appreciation of the name?

I've sold a lot of .net's including snowboards.net, laserpointers.net, and what not. The domain isnt valuable in my opinion. The market isnt very large, and its a dashed .net.

If you can get $500 for it, sell it.
    Kyle

Heh, well, he offered me far more than that, but wants proof of the value in the form of an appraisal from someone he trusts.... and he wants me to get that. I told him he should get it himself, it makes no sense for the seller to try to protect the buyer's investment and I have no idea who he considers trustworthy (not any big name brokers).

Website Developer
    Here are the .net domains with dashes sales that were reported in 2006:

TV-Guide.net $2,551 5/9/2006 Sedo
    Mega-Net.net $2,001 5/30/2006 SnapNames

There were also these .info domains, which concievable you could say the .net's were worth more:
    New-York.info $22,864 3/28/2006 Sedo
    San-Diego.info $3,292 3/21/2006 Sedo
    Los-Angeles.info $2,402 3/14/2006 Pvt Sale
    Obviously someone was looking for something specific there.

So, if "Mega-Net.net" really sold for over 2k, you could justify throwing-knives.net for over 1k easily. However, its still a bit of a stretch in my own mind.
    Make more money - Read my Web Publishing Blog

the only other domain I sold, online-orienteering.net, went for $2100, but it had some good PR, except most of that was from my own sites so I just switched the links.

Geez... I'm surprised at some of them Cutter. I thought the tv guide one would go for a lot more...
    Don't you just love free internet games ?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris
    Heh, well, he offered me far more than that, but wants proof of the value in the form of an appraisal from someone he trusts.... and he wants me to get that. I told him he should get it himself, it makes no sense for the seller to try to protect the buyer's investment and I have no idea who he considers trustworthy (not any big name brokers).
    Thats good. If you hold onto a name, and don't try to sell it, you never know what kind of offers you may receive. If you were to post this domain on a domain forum right now (like DNForum), I'm curious what people would say.
    Kyle

Gimme Fries with that!
    askin the seller to appraise a domain is really foolish. I got a tan protege with broken struts and a rusty bumper. I say its worth,, err I mean my expert friend says its worth $20k. Who wants it? Ok im done joking around :P

Website Developer
    I'm surprised that .net's with dashes go for so much. The end of last year I snagged a really good two word .com from BuyDomains, no dashes, for around $3,000. I found another great .com going for $1,500, waited until the evening and it was gone!
    Make more money - Read my Web Publishing Blog

Junior Registered

Get a professional domain name appraisal...

Quote Originally Posted by Chris
    Hey guys, what do you think throwing-knives.net is worth, I got someone interested, someone with a large budget I know. They want me to name a price.
    The best way to figure out a fair price is to get a professional appraisal.

I find one of the most reliable is AccurateDomains.com (from Cody Mecklenburg). They actually give a money back guarantee.

We are so confident in the accuracy of our domain name appraisals that we offer an extraordinary money back guarantee. If the sale of a domain or domain portfolio is not within 10% of our minimum and maximum appraised value, we will refund the cost of the domain appraisal.
    (Others such as as Sedo.com also provide fairly reliable appraisals, but I like Cody's service the best.)
    For domain investors. Niche expired domains with traffic direct to your email (the big 8 directories including IMDB.com) - ExDirectories.com
    formerly known as ExYahoo

Registered
    I wouldn't put a value over $200 for the name resell.

However, you've got a big hand up being that it is an end user and you know they have $$$.

I'd try for around $3-5K to start.

Junior Registered
    I'm surprised domains are selling on one hand at all? You can brand anyname you want and pick it up for justa few dollars..I lok ed through stock piles of expired domains and there are a lot of good ones out there, but unless you have the fuel to do something they'll be back on the list in a year?

I have a domain name www.heatingguide.com? If someone right now offered me 2 grand for it, would that be foolish to accept? I didn't think these were worth anything?