Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: De-optimize - myth?

De-optimize - myth?

Chris

What do you think of this article?

http://www.searchengineguide.com/llo.../1125_bl1.html

If you have an established site, I think I would leave the de-optimizing (if there can be such a thing!) for a little longer. The SERPs are still pretty bad and we may find Google either: Gives the new algo the shove and completely reverts back to the old SERPs OR tweaks their new change so it works more effectively. Therefore I do think it would be wise to wait before doing anything harsh.

As to whether "being penalized for overdoing SEO" is a myth or not still remains to be seen for certain. However, from my own personal experiences this does seem to be the case. There are problems with the idea though and I still can't see how google could ever implement it effectively without seriously impacting other sites. Not being Google employees though, we can only observe and critically analyse the information we do have.

Registered
    If you a second site which you aren't making money (or not much money) off of, you could always try stuff out there and see how the rankings are affected. Based on your results, you could then implement it on your other sites.

IMHO, just wait for another week or two to see what path google chooses (or doesn't choose).

Originally posted by bugsy
    If you a second site which you aren't making money (or not much money) off of, you could always try stuff out there and see how the rankings are affected.
    That's exactly what I've done. I have another site where the index page completely disappeared from the SERPs. It was heavily optimized. The sub-pages weren't and they were fine. It's not making me any money anyway, so I've decreased the keyword density over the whole page, including the title. Now I'll just wait and see what happens.

As I've said before, this new filtering system, if it stays, will really ruin some sites. It will be better for some results, but sometimes you HAVE to mention a keyword a lot.
    Don't you just love free internet games ?

You're right. That's exactly why I can't see how they can effectively implement it - ever. Unless they use some sort of AI lol

Results are definitely less relevant now.

Is it possible that Google is punishing over optimization? Yes... however sites that seem as optimized as sites that dropped are still ranked well.

Anyone who thinks they know exactly what is happening, such as Google having a secret dictionary of commercial words, is a fool. Thats pure speculation. Its amazing how fast someone's speculation can turn into someone else's facts.

Personally, I'm doing a couple things.

1. Trying to emulate the current #1 site for whatever keywords I have.

2. Sending spam reports for all the spam I see so Google gets the message.

3. Mostly just waiting it out.
    Chris Beasley - My Guide to Building a Successful Website[size=1]
    Content Sites: ABCDFGHIJKLMNOP|Forums: ABCD EF|Ecommerce: Swords Knives

Looks like amazon ranks really well in search engines now as well they seem to be 3rd or 4th on all their products they have

The results at google are terrible at the moment. I was browsing last night, and none of the top ten sites had what I wanted.

Not sure what to do really.

There's a lot of speculation allready so why wouldn't I join

With the current results, is SEEMS google is trying to push searchers to search more specific since non-specific results mostly show directories. On the otherhand are they trying to push webdesigner to be more specific about the product or service they offer.

So if people search more specific ( meaning with more keywords ) and webdesigners "optimize" for a more specific product or service ( meaning with longer keyphrases and more variation in the keyphrases ) people will find more relevant info and webdesigners will have better focused visitors.

Like I said , it's just my 2cents of speculation.
    Last edited by Percept; 11-29-2003 at 12:28 PM.
    Percept | Webdesign | Desk02 | 7962154zz8x

i find it annoyign when i search because all i see is dealtime,amazon,ebay, all commercial sites

Originally posted by s2kinteg916
    i find it annoyign when i search because all i see is dealtime,amazon,ebay, all commercial sites
    What are you searching for ?

Originally posted by Chris
    Anyone who thinks they know exactly what is happening, such as Google having a secret dictionary of commercial words, is a fool. Thats pure speculation. Its amazing how fast someone's speculation can turn into someone else's facts.
    Yep, passing it off as fact is bad. However, observation and speculation are good so long as people realise, that it is just that.

Originally posted by Chris

1. Trying to emulate the current #1 site for whatever keywords I have.
    I think that's the #1 golden rule of getting to where you want to be. Emulate the top. I've also sent in some spam reports.

But will google take note of spam reports from just a few people?

Originally posted by Mike
    But will google take note of spam reports from just a few people?
    I think every SEO has been reporting spampages for the last week or so.