Thread: Getting ready to launch vBulletin site

Registered

Getting ready to launch vBulletin site

I have zero experience with vBulletin, but I am preparing to launch a community type site that will be focused on a specific city. I think vBulletin is going to be the way to go. But I wanted to hit you guys up for a little feedback.

1. I am going to have a blog that ties into the site. It will be updated monday through Friday and i want this on the home page. I also want the most recent forum posts to show up - kinda like here on WSP. is the best way to set up the blog in the main directory and set up vBulletin in a sub-folder? Am I going to run into any conflicts?

2. Would I be better off using one of the portal type things for vBulletin? Are these any good for search engines?

3. Right now I have most of my sites set up on Dreamhost but I don't think they are capable of handling the type of site I am about to launch. Any recommendations for a really good vBulletin ready host?

Thanks in advance. i know these questions may seem very basic, but I just want to make sure I'm not going to run into anything crazy.

1. Yes that is a normal setup.

2. Many of the portal mods are bulky, feature bloated, and not optimized for SEs. I am not familiar with all of them though. Chances are your blog software might have a vb integration hack though (rather than the other way around).

3. Sorry no, I haven't used virtual hosts in years so I really don't have any recommendations.
    Chris Beasley - My Guide to Building a Successful Website[size=1]
    Content Sites: ABCDFGHIJKLMNOP|Forums: ABCD EF|Ecommerce: Swords Knives

If you're running a blog & vbulletin combo, dreamhost should be able to do it. Otherwise, check out Site5 (www.site5.com).
    Stepping On Wires - the new blog

Registered
    I think I will try to make it happen on dreamhost for now, then move it to a dedicated server when it hopefully starts to make money. So far I have had a completely great experience with dreamhost.

I've decided I'm going to use Wordpress for the home/news page and then use a hack as sort of a bridge between it and vBulletin.

Here's what I'm going to try to do...

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showt...t=94443&page=4

Anyway, I will keep you up to date on how everything goes. I was thinking about starting a thread to share my progress and maybe get feedback along the way.

Website Developer
    I believe the latest version of vBulletin will post RSS feeds to a thread, so you should be able to run your commenting system that way, rather than having people post seperately to wordpress.

Good luck, let us know how it goes!
    Make more money - Read my Web Publishing Blog

Quote Originally Posted by MarkB
    If you're running a blog & vbulletin combo, dreamhost should be able to do it. Otherwise, check out Site5 (www.site5.com).
    I second site5, they have been nothing short of amazing for me.

yes I also recommend Site5..

Hostgator.com and datacities.com has also been good to me

maybe have a look at vbportal or vbAdvanced.. although,

Wordpress with vb is a prety hot combo.. you will get better SERPs with the blog route aswell

Find yourself a good vb skinner, they should beable to skin Wordpress then aswell as the frontend is html.. nothing worse than a default vb skin.

hope this helps.
    Charl Norman
    -
    1~2~3~4~5~6~7

Registered
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkB
    I have had terrible experience with this company. I was with them for 3 months and my server was down for the better part of that time.

Sorry to get off topic.

Trench Warfare
    Yeah, don't use Site5. They are the worst host I have ever used.

Reading MarkB's blog the other day, I don't think he recommends Site5 anymore, anyway.

Hostgator and Phatservers I recommend