Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What CMS do you use Aspen?

Registered

What CMS do you use Aspen?

I notice that it is very google-friendly. I'd like to use it for some of my new site ideas.

I think he made it himself, although I'm not fully certain.
    Don't you just love free internet games ?

I made it myself.
    Chris Beasley - My Guide to Building a Successful Website[size=1]
    Content Sites: ABCDFGHIJKLMNOP|Forums: ABCD EF|Ecommerce: Swords Knives

Have a look at MovableType.

I'm using it for my site (ASPit), and it's very powerful, and allows you to create search-friendly url's as well (like on this site).

It's originally a blogging tool, but it's powerful enough to function as a complete CMS. I've been using it for 3 months now, and I'm still discovering about new features.
    Dennis Pallett

If you know PHP or something along those lines, then you may as well make your own. It's easy depending on how advanced you want it.

Originally posted by Mike
    If you know PHP or something along those lines, then you may as well make your own. It's easy depending on how advanced you want it.
    Well, it usually takes time to build a (good) CMS. I rather use an existing CMS (which I know is good) than take the time to make my own.
    Dennis Pallett

That's why I said that it would be easy (meaning quick as well) if you wanted a simple one. Well, I meant that anyway.

You could make a CMS which allowed you to add and search in an hour or so. Really it depends on how far you want to go.

I've never really made any real use of a pre-written CMS. I always bash out my own. I give clients a simple tool called HTMLEditBox, so they can easily change font / cut & paste from word etc and then that creates the HTML automatically. That's the written to a database. Simple.

Is that like Sitepoint's Editize chromate? Also is it free?

Registered
    Movable Type looks very interesting. It's very SE friendly (keywords in page title, h1 tags, URL)

I'm planning a cheats or lyrics site. It needs to be very easy and quick to add content. A lot of copy and pasting. Do you think MovableType would be good for this purpose.

Is that like Sitepoint's Editize chromate? Also is it free?
    It's like SitePoint's Editize, yeah. But HTMLEditBox is much cheaper. When I first started using it, it was priced at $9 per licence compared with something like $250 for Editize. I remember when sitepoint released Editize I had big arguments with the sitepoint staff in their forums saying it was overpriced etc. Editize couldn't do a lot of the stuff that HTMLEditBox could do. A lot of my posts were deleted by the staff, not because they were rude or abusive, but because I was presenting alternative competition that they couldn't match.

There is one major drawback with HTMLEditBox though, it requires the use of IE. Not so much of a problem when you know your client uses IE though (as most do) Sitepoint also had to make Editize a java applet to make it totally cross browser friendly. Because of this it was slow to load and the user also had to have Java. HTMLEditBox just used straight forward PHP -- no problems at all for anyone.

It's been a long time since then though and a lot have changed. I know there's a new version of HTMLEditBox out, but I haven't used it for ages now (perhaps a year or so).

I wouldn't have thought sitepoint staff would do that, but I suppose they have got a product to offer.

I'll look into something like that if I develop a CMS ever.

I wouldn't have thought sitepoint staff would do that, but I suppose they have got a product to offer.
    Yeah, this was when I started going off sitepoint. When they got all commercial. I can understand them censoring my posts though. A lot of people were agreeing with what I was saying and in a thread designed to promote their new product, it's not at all what they wanted. If it was my product I would have done the same. Probably what really got to them was I informed the author of HTMLEditBox of what was going on and got him involved in the discussion He made quite a few sales out of it. lol.

Originally posted by snoopers
    Movable Type looks very interesting. It's very SE friendly (keywords in page title, h1 tags, URL)

I'm planning a cheats or lyrics site. It needs to be very easy and quick to add content. A lot of copy and pasting. Do you think MovableType would be good for this purpose.
    MovableType would be excellent for this, especially because you can use desktop programs (like Zempt) to add new content. This means you won't have to wait for pages to load.
    Dennis Pallett

Originally posted by chromate
    Yeah, this was when I started going off sitepoint. When they got all commercial. I can understand them censoring my posts though. A lot of people were agreeing with what I was saying and in a thread designed to promote their new product, it's not at all what they wanted. If it was my product I would have done the same. Probably what really got to them was I informed the author of HTMLEditBox of what was going on and got him involved in the discussion He made quite a few sales out of it. lol.
    You should have asked for commision