Thread: Asking for a link exchange

Registered

Asking for a link exchange

Hi, I was wondering if there was a template for sending an email to some other webmaster requesting a link exchange. If there is a such thing, I wouldn't want to blow my chances at link building, any advice on this topic will be much appreciated.

You don't want to use any kind of template. The best approach is to comment on a particular feature of the site you're trying to exchange links with. Keep it as personal as possible. Try and find out and use the name of the webmaster as well.

Chromate's right, send a personal e-mail, preferably to the site owner/admin by name, and tell them what you like about their site and why you want a link from them. I've found that honesty and being friendly is the best policy and most people are more than happy to link back to you if you have taken the time to look at their site in the first place.

For every chemical you trade a piece of your soul

Registered
    Well, right now i'm taking both approaches, i'll see which method is more successful and stick to it.

For example... I got this email today:

I emailed you a couple weeks ago regarding our site, ******.com, and was wondering if you had time to get to it. I see your link to [FIELD3] on your page [FIELD1], and ask you to link to our site also since it is useful to your visitors. If you want to link to us you can place your site in our directory for free at http://www.***********.com/cgi-bin/links/add.cgi.
    Chris Beasley - My Guide to Building a Successful Website[size=1]
    Content Sites: ABCDFGHIJKLMNOP|Forums: ABCD EF|Ecommerce: Swords Knives

Registered
    Chris, did you reply to that? What would you rate that request comparing to other request you have recieved in the past from 1-10?

I get those emails also.
    New website released. ya rly!

Registered
    ok, here's a challenge for you andy. If you wanted me to write a review about your latest turn based/web based game, how would you go about asking me over email?

I'd keep it short, to the point and as personal as possible while being polite.

As an example with the one Chris quoted - I wouldn't put an "add url" link in it - i'd simply put a link to the websites main page.
    New website released. ya rly!

Registered
    Very good advice.

I have taken note also

Thanks.