Thread: Search Engine Traffic Question

Search Engine Traffic Question

My site has been around for about a month now. It gets a little traffic from MSN and Google and I haven't seen a peep out of other search engines. I am getting most of my traffic from links on other sites. It is still a very small amount of traffic (usually 20-50 uniques, sometimes more). My question is this:

Once my site has been around for a longer period of time and has been assigned a Google PageRank as well as being picked up by some of the smaller and slower engines, will it get a lot more traffic?

As far as SEO goes, my site is pretty well optimised and I don't want to overdo it. I am also adding links often (about 2 a week). If my site is going to continue getting a meagre amount of traffic then I will make another site in a less competitive niche and try again.

This question is a little too generic to get any helpful replies. There are a lot of factors here that you need to be able to observe.

1) Figuring out how popular your main keywords are that you rank on. Then watch your rank move up and down.

2) Ranking on Google and Yahoo isn't some easily managable system anymore. MSN is a lot like how Google was a couple-three years ago.

3) It is all about quality and updating for Google. If you put true dedication into your site, continue to try and obtain more incoming links, and NOT stop this process for 2 years, you will probably succeed.

If you can show the site you are referencing it would be easier to tailor more specific recommendations.
    Kyle

Registered
    I think it's the "photographer tips" website that he's talking about. Icebane could you give me advice on my websites too, just like Giles both my websites are about 1 month old but i could only do some seo work during this week (other than including my sites in the forums sigs). This week i've mainly promoted fightyourbullies.com to see what works and what doesn't. I've submitted my bullying website to 5-10 directories and just today I submitted an article to ezine.

Icebane, is there another good source of traffic other than search engine and that is "free"?

Website Developer
    You need to have links from good related web sites, just directories won't cut it.

As far as free traffic sources, search engines and high visibilty links/news stories on other sites with good traffic are it. Other than a mention on Howard Stern I don't know of many sources that can send a large volume of traffic at no cost.
    Make more money - Read my Web Publishing Blog

3) It is all about quality and updating for Google. If you put true dedication into your site, continue to try and obtain more incoming links, and NOT stop this process for 2 years, you will probably succeed.
    This is good advice, age is the single greatest asset a website can have.
    Chris Beasley - My Guide to Building a Successful Website[size=1]
    Content Sites: ABCDFGHIJKLMNOP|Forums: ABCD EF|Ecommerce: Swords Knives

Quote Originally Posted by vahsi000
    I think it's the "photographer tips" website that he's talking about. Icebane could you give me advice on my websites too, just like Giles both my websites are about 1 month old but i could only do some seo work during this week (other than including my sites in the forums sigs). This week i've mainly promoted fightyourbullies.com to see what works and what doesn't. I've submitted my bullying website to 5-10 directories and just today I submitted an article to ezine.

Icebane, is there another good source of traffic other than search engine and that is "free"?
    You still have a long way to go. The best advice I can give you is to continue making new sites. Practice new things... read more tutorials. Re-read tutorials located here.
    Kyle

Yeah, its hard but you have to be patient. My sites I launched in Oct last year are only just starting to rank well in G and Y!

Registered
    Quote Originally Posted by Masetek
    Yeah, its hard but you have to be patient. My sites I launched in Oct last year are only just starting to rank well in G and Y!
    by ranking well, you mean the first page for a keyword?

The most importent thing is keyword the best way to tell is to use google an alexa together see who is on the top of the keywords you want then see who links to them and look at there alexa rating! to see if they get alot of traffic!