Thread: I started

I started

Learning PHP i bought this book called PHP and MYSQL for dynamic websites 2nd edition by larry ullman, its a bit more complex then others but i want to learn good stuff wen im done. Ive already read 50 pages and know all about variables, sinlge quotes, double, constants, REQUEST varibales with forms all the echoes, i made my own form not using the book when i was done and its all going good, i think its pretty cool, hopefully this attitude stays when the real stuff starts coming along lol.

Great stuff, you almost motivated to learn as well. But not quite. It seems so time consuming, and I keep thinking about algebre, which I do way too much of already. Was it particularly hard to learn. What sort of things can you put together using basic knowledge?

I need more time, maybe I'll buy a book next holidays.

well im only 50 pages in and i know all the stuff i said above already, as far as making something i made a simple form with w/e u want in it, name, age, comments etc, and wen u submit the form on the next page it says thank you "name" your comment of "comment" was received so basicly just displaying w/e info you put in. This is only like 45 pages into it still got like 400 so im excited and i actualy like it. The algebra doesnt seem to crazy, i mean at most its jus basic arithmatic operations it doesnt seem like anything to crazy to deal with. But yea its not that hard either, at the beggining i was having trouble gettin things to work but i realized if you even miss one dam colon, or one letter the whole thing is shot and wont work lol.

Quote Originally Posted by izwar
    But yea its not that hard either, at the beggining i was having trouble gettin things to work but i realized if you even miss one dam colon, or one letter the whole thing is shot and wont work lol.
    Yep, you have to be spot on with your programming. I wouldn't worry about algebra in using PHP - I doubt you'll need anything more than basic arithmetic.

Good work on getting started - its definitely worth knowing what you can do with PHP etc. Also get yourself some knowledge of SEO, then you can start building some successful sites!

Dman. I should get into PHP, mySQL sounds pretty simple. just pretty much managing a DB using text commands rather than a UI. It would be awesome to have the freedom to make sites in whatever way you want.

hey with the new book i got its much much easier and everything is flowing great no complaints, im learning a lot. today im starting the chapter on sending smttp emails, the mysql section and connecting seems alittle scary but that seems wehre the good stuff is.

If you can find a nice, small, re-usable function for connection to MySQL, then you won't find it so daunting I'd recommend the Sitepoint PHP/MySQL books if you don't have them already, especially the "Build Your Own Database Driven Website Using PHP & MySQL" one - it's in its 3rd edition, so you may be able to find the 1st of 2nd editions relatively cheaply. It's a decent primer.
    Stepping On Wires - the new blog