Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tired of no social interaction -- get a job?

I do a lot of onsite consulting with clients. I enjoy it - I fly to different cities for a few days at a time, have a bunch of meetings, visit friends around the country, and get a big check a month later.

I only work from home about 50% of the time now - I actually enjoy working with clients. As long as I have TOTAL control over my schedule, I dont mind scheduling meetings or workshops, etc.

Also the frequent flier miles are sweet.

Website Developer
    How about golf?

I've got a similar problem, but its not too bad. I'm just bored with the things around here; not enough excitement. I'm focusing on my business hard this year, and then I will probably move. Suburban life isn't all its cracked up to be.
    Make more money - Read my Web Publishing Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Cutter
    How about golf?
    I'm taking up golf. Problem is everyone that I know who has clubs and will play has tight sheduals between Uni and work.

Is it sad to go play a around by yourself?
    New website released. ya rly!

Quote Originally Posted by AndyH
    Is it sad to go play a around by yourself?
    That is very sad, you had better find yourself a girlfriend.
    Ken Barbalace - EnvironmentalChemistry.com (Environmental Careers, Blog)
    InternetSAR.org: Volunteers Assisting Search and Rescue via the Internet
    My Firefox Theme Classic Compact: Based onFirefox's classic theme but uses much less window space

Perhaps you should look for something that would also benefit your web publishing too - as Chris says, maybe look into taking a class on something.

Could you do a part-time MBA or something?

Maybe look at starting a "bricks and mortar" real-world business as well, something that would get you out and about and meeting people and has the potential to make you more for your efforts than minimum wage waiting tables.

Sounds like you need a new challenge.

For every chemical you trade a piece of your soul

I go to college for this very purpose (social interaction) and I plan on moving downtown within the next month or two - where the action's at.

Living alone in the suburbs without social activity would not be too much fun at all.

Cutter - You plan on moving to Chicago or something? I would likely move to Chicago or NYC if I didn't hate winter so much.
    Last edited by moonshield; 04-19-2006 at 06:35 AM.

Registered
    You're all quacks ;-)

I'd give just about anything to feel secure enough to give up my day job so I could work at home on my projects all day. I guess the grass is always greener.... My nagging student loan payments keep me working outside of my house just for the security of the regular pay cheque.

Find something social, but a working scene isn't the way to go - conversation with co-workers is way overrated ;-) (Having a boss isn't the greatest either).

Volunteering could be rewarding. The one year I did work at home, I got my two golden retrievers certified as therapy dogs and we visited the local nursing home and hospital twice a week. It was very rewarding, and wasn't overly time consuming (except bathing my dogs all the time).

Website Developer
    moonshield -- I'm looking for a warmer and/or cheaper place for next winter. Could be in the US, could be international. I've got a few places in mind, I'm hoping to do some travelling over the next few months.

Like you I don't enjoy the winter. Snow is nice, but it seems to me we get one or two weekends of good snow cover in January, and then everything else between October to March is garbage.

Chicago and NYC are really just too expensive. For what you pay to live comfortably in either city, you can live very well elsewhere.

I've got to admit I find this thread kind of amusing. 90% of the employeed people I know seem to strongly dislike their job or hate it. There are "work at home" ads all over TV. Yet I'm convinced most people couldn't handle it.

I really don't have much trouble finding really cool stuff to do, its just a matter of time and money right now. I know if I work hard for the next 3 or 4 years I probably can probably meet my goals.

I wouldn't even dream of taking on another job or volunteer just to kill the time. I see too many people completely filling up their schedules, running around doing anything and everything, and at the end of the day they actually have nothing to say for it. Do you know anyone like this? They live paycheck to paycheck, but are always working, going to school, running errands, volunteering, whatever. Then they cross their fingers and say damn if I could just win the lottery..
    Make more money - Read my Web Publishing Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Cutter
    I wouldn't even dream of taking on another job or volunteer just to kill the time. I see too many people completely filling up their schedules, running around doing anything and everything, and at the end of the day they actually have nothing to say for it. Do you know anyone like this? They live paycheck to paycheck, but are always working, going to school, running errands, volunteering, whatever. Then they cross their fingers and say damn if I could just win the lottery..
    Ya I know people like this but I'll have to tell you later. I feel like going bowling right now.
    My Firefox Theme Classic Compact: Based onFirefox's classic theme but uses much less window space

Registered
    I get enough interaction with people just dealing with KLB on WPF

Shawn, just get a girlfriend, preferably Russian
    Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it

Quote Originally Posted by KLB
    That is very sad, you had better find yourself a girlfriend.
    Done
    New website released. ya rly!

Quote Originally Posted by demosfen
    Shawn, just get a girlfriend, preferably Russian
    Hey now, my wife is Russian and I think it is safe to say they might take issue with this.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by AndyH
    Done

hahaha