Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tired of no social interaction -- get a job?

KLB, so is mine, and I thought it's safe to say they wouldn't
    Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it

LOL KLB! It is a dream job. My bf been doing it fulltime for almost 3 years but find it hard to get motivated sometimes.

Being a human, we're a social creature. we're also never satisfied or happy with whatever we have. Well, maybe not all people, but me personally, never happy with whatever I have, I want more - more shoppings, more $$, more attentions, more challenges, more sleeps, more holidays, more friends, more LOVE....the list goes on and on.

Love Chris' idea - taking a class def fun and could take away the boredom of working by yourself at home.

Andy H, its not sad to play golf by yourself. It's a sport which is designed to play without anyone having to play with you (unlike other sports, you need at least 1 person to play with you such as squash, tennis, cricket or basketball). it's between you and the golf course :-). I play golf by myself after work if I'm on an interstate work assignment and dont have to bugger the other colleagues to play with me.

Gimme Fries with that!
    i have to admit doing interviews does keep me from spending my entire day at my computer alone. So do a site that involves some social interaction.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn
    The gym doesn't help, it's at the apartment. I'm pretty much the only one there. I don't really have the opportunity to play a team sport, not many local gatherings.

It's almost like I want a job now. I want someone to give me an objective. I'd love nothing more than to get hired by Chris or KLB for example (don't know you too much KLB, sorry to call you out) to perform web work, project manage, whatever.

I was just posting about how I outsource most of the work for my own sites now, yet here I am wanting to work for another website publisher or go become a waiter. It makes sense though, right? With that being said, I know that running a business is what I was meant to do. I've always been a leader... I know I'm not tired of running a business, however... I think I'm getting tired of not having enough tasks to complete in a day.

I don't know what to do. I don't want to create more projects. I have new projects urrently underway. I don't need anymore hobbies, I already have one, a great one at that (I collect Gene Wilder/Mel brooks autographs and memorabilia).

Anybody see Forest Gump? I feel like Forest after he comes home back to his old house, after his mother dies and after he becomes a millionaire from Bubba/Gump shrimping and investing with Apple -- he goes back to work cutting the lawn of the local football field because he likes it. Now, I'm not saying I'm that rich by any means, but I'm comfortable where I am and I want to work.

My wife and I were thinking about me selling suits at Men's Warehouse or Belk or Dilliards. Or maybe working for a cell phone company retail shop. I like both of those things.
    DO NOT work for a cell phone company. I wouldn't with that one anyone, what cell phone sales reps go through. I was one for two years.

Shawn, I have almost exactly the same problem.

It's not so bad now as I don't spend too much time in the house anyway, but when my girlfriend finishes uni and gets a full time job later this year, she wont be around so much. I've been thinking about getting a job at that time, just so I'm not stuck in the house all day alone. Seems a pretty stupid move though. I'm not sure I could take having another boss again and I'm not sure it would make any sense, unless it was something I was truly interested in Thought about doing classic car restoration, or some other skilled work. I think I would probably prefer to do some kind of offline business though rather than be employed by someone else. It would just result in further diversification, which is not a bad thing. Alternatively, I might do some voluntary work. We'll see.

BTW, I suddenly realised just the other day how good Gene Wilder was! Never really appreciated it before.

Go join a softball league or find people to go fishing with, jeez.

You've done the hard part (working wherever the hell you want) and you're complaining about the bit that everyone else finds easy.
    Vinnie Garcia - Web designer, programmer, pastry chef
    IBeBloggin' - a web design blog
    Web 2.Oh! (BETA) - laugh at the tag clouds
    Rails Forum (BETA) - Learn about Ruby on Rails

Website Developer
    The thing is that the hard part usually comes at the cost of social interaction. There are a lot of entrepreneurs out there who have lost more than one wife because of their work. I think almost everyone that is really good at something, be it a rock star, actor, artist, all end up seriously neglecting some part of their life. Alone, these things are simple. Balancing them with work is what is extremely difficult.
    Make more money - Read my Web Publishing Blog