Thread: wtf? page_url

wtf? page_url

google_page_url= "http://www.phpwebhosting.com/";
    google_color_border = "E9E9D1";

I saw that in a google ad. The ad is showing dedicated server ads on a games site.

Is this allowed?

Interesting. Best answer you are going to get is by emailing Google support.

If you do, i'm interested in their response.
    New website released. ya rly!

Better wait until at least chris sees this, so he can instantly say we that it is against there TOS.

Junior Registered
    That's against the TOS. It clearly says you can't modify the ad code.

I guess you all know this, but I had to do a little research to figure out that the google_page_url is the variable that appears if you choose to place your AdSense ads on a framed page. I just went in to create a test ad, and found that the default code is:

google_page_url = document.location;

So I assume that's used to get the correct keywords. Which all means that the code in the original post is being used to get server ads on a gaming site. If so, I could only imagine that that would be not just wrong, but very wrong and could get the offending account flagged or perhaps even cancelled.

I think Erin is right on this one. Send Google feedback on the site via the "Ads by Google" link. I'm sure Google will address this very quickly.
    Ken Barbalace - EnvironmentalChemistry.com (Environmental Careers, Blog)
    InternetSAR.org: Volunteers Assisting Search and Rescue via the Internet
    My Firefox Theme Classic Compact: Based onFirefox's classic theme but uses much less window space

Registered
    I would say that it is definately against their TOS for a doubt. The reason why Adsense set up in the first place is so that they could contextually show targeted ads on publisher sites.

Well this person is breaking this rule and is doing the opposite by making sure that he has some of the highest paying keywords shown on his site.

I would imagin that he would know about this as gaming sites don't make much money at all. They receive anywhere on average from $0.01 - $0.10 per click.

Now that he is displaying hosting ads he can get anywhere from $0.20 - $10 per click.

His CTR will most probably be a little lower but for the large price increase that he will get per click he is probably making more money.

I would say that he/she is definately breaking the TOS.
    Affiliate Programs Directory - Over 2,000 Programs - Contextual Ads, Datafeeds, 2-tier, plus more
    -----> 140+ CPA Affiliate Networks | Earn upto $1.20 CPM on Banners | Play Online Games