Thread: Another Poor YPN Test

Another Poor YPN Test

I did another YPN test on my literature site yesterday, the reason being CPM with Google has been low all month.

Yahoo CPM did end up being a little higher in my test, however their default rate was atrocious. They didn't even serve an ad over 60% of the time.
    Chris Beasley - My Guide to Building a Successful Website[size=1]
    Content Sites: ABCDFGHIJKLMNOP|Forums: ABCD EF|Ecommerce: Swords Knives

I think YPN is probably suffering the same growing pains AdSense did a couple of years ago. Basically they still need to build up their pool of advertisers. To do this, they also need to lower the upfront cost of entry to advertising via YPN. I can set up an AdWords campaign with no up front expenses and quickly stop a campaign if I don't like it. This means there is very little risk involved with just trying AdWords out. If I read things correctly one must commit $300 to start an ad campaign with Yahoo.

This really limits the advertiser pool.
    Ken Barbalace - EnvironmentalChemistry.com (Environmental Careers, Blog)
    InternetSAR.org: Volunteers Assisting Search and Rescue via the Internet
    My Firefox Theme Classic Compact: Based onFirefox's classic theme but uses much less window space

Registered
    Aren't YPN ads through Overture advertisers? If so, they should have a huge advertiser base and I don't think you need $300 to start a campaign. I haven't used them in a bit but it wasn't that way a few months back. Yahoo needs to get their relevancy together quickly. The way it is now they shouldn't have even gone to beta IMO. If they can't get relevant ads they need to get out or get comfortable in the back seat.

Quote Originally Posted by IBBDB
    Aren't YPN ads through Overture advertisers? If so, they should have a huge advertiser base and I don't think you need $300 to start a campaign. I haven't used them in a bit but it wasn't that way a few months back. Yahoo needs to get their relevancy together quickly. The way it is now they shouldn't have even gone to beta IMO. If they can't get relevant ads they need to get out or get comfortable in the back seat.

You are correct, there is no minimum to start an overture/yahoo campaign. Furthermore, overture has MORE advertisers than adwords. This is simply a delivery issue.

I could have sworn I saw some minium start up fee. Maybe I didn't understand things.
    My Firefox Theme Classic Compact: Based onFirefox's classic theme but uses much less window space

I think they had a fee for quick addition to the system? Maybe not but they definitely used to have a minimum monthly spend of $20 or $30, which has now been removed.

Overture has a 5 $ minimum start fee to start
    http://searchmarketing.yahoo.com/index.php

Yes, but that just means that your account has $5.00 at a minimum to deliver ads. There isnt a "Signup Fee"

That's good information to have. I've been wanting to try it out (I was accepted into the beta), but I kinda can't (see my sig).

Registered
    Overture has been around alot longer than Adwords so I guess that they would have more advertisers.

Quote Originally Posted by Henny
    You are correct, there is no minimum to start an overture/yahoo campaign. Furthermore, overture has MORE advertisers than adwords. This is simply a delivery issue.
    Affiliate Programs Directory - Over 2,000 Programs - Contextual Ads, Datafeeds, 2-tier, plus more
    -----> 140+ CPA Affiliate Networks | Earn upto $1.20 CPM on Banners | Play Online Games

Quote Originally Posted by john190
    Overture has been around alot longer than Adwords so I guess that they would have more advertisers.
    Not necessarily, Google has great brand recognition which can be a very valuable assest in building an advertiser base.

Registered
    I had heard back a year or so ago that Overture was the most used ppc search engine/program. Alot of the major sites were using their network to add paid search results to their sites like some of the search engines.
    Affiliate Programs Directory - Over 2,000 Programs - Contextual Ads, Datafeeds, 2-tier, plus more
    -----> 140+ CPA Affiliate Networks | Earn upto $1.20 CPM on Banners | Play Online Games